dolfer 17
Member Spotlight
DanS
DanS
New Jersey, USA
Today's Birthdays
ACTON, kygirl, makeshiftwings
Who's Online Now
46 members (jbutah, candu, zhawk, MikeBiondo, SXMNAN, IWIWSE, fabila, foreversxm, GeorgeC1, RonDon, pedalpusher, Cincinnati_Kid, Leagle49, CaribbeanCanadians, Ackman, Fred, dolfer, KC2SXM, socamon, davidandsusannj, toast, anniefromks, StMartinFan, BillR, RatmansWife, Matt W, cbinparadise, MrTim-BTV, boucharda, NumberCruncher, 16 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#294951 02/01/2023 11:26 AM
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Hi everyone! When we used to travel in Europe we'd buy my husband a SIM card in each country for cheap versus paying for international data. (I had international on my work phone but no longer). Wondered if any of you have bought a local SIM while in BVIs for use. Any other thoughts and suggestions. The pandemic has rendered me brain dead when it comes to international travel.

Can't wait to be back in the BVIs after several years, sailing on Ad Astra for a week - departing February 11.
If you will be around, look for us!

Marcia

Cheers,

Marcia

BVI Sponsors
Traveler
Traveler
If you have AT&T you can add an international day pass for $10 per day which is probably cheaper and easier to do than finding a SIM card.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
What I have been telling my husband but he's frugal at times. Not when it comes to cars but maybe less I pay for other stuff, the more toys I can collect.

Cheers,

Marcia

Traveler
Traveler
Check out Mr Simcard before you leave. They worked well for us but just make sure you understand what is free and what uses data from your purchased data plan.

Louis from Houston
Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
If you are going for more than 8 days, Verizon has a monthly international plan for $81. You can sign up for one month at a time. Then you do not have to worry about the daily charges racking up. May be worth a shot.

Toast.......to Life; White Bay...heaven on earth.
Diane
Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
Be aware that some newer phones use a electronic SIM card. Check your phone before buying one.

Traveler
Traveler
I think very few people do this anymore.

We have Verizon, which is $10 per day of use, per device, and includes 2gb of data. You can manage the number of days you connect by turning off your cellular. Check in via wifi only, make wifi calls, etc.... But when you need to make a call or get a boatyball, turn on cellular on that device and off you go for $10.

If you travel a lot, and want seamless decent connectivity use, get Tmobile. They have the best global network solution. I would argue ATT has the worst (globally, not in the BVI). I have friends who keep a Tmobile pay as you go phone, and only use it when they travel. They forward their home/other carrier calls. Works great for them. Add a few bucks before each trip.

Traveler
Traveler
I use T Mobile in the BVI's..25 cents a minute.

Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Turns out we have Spectrum and no international data option.

Cheers,

Marcia

Traveler
Traveler
Originally Posted by mmchaplin
Turns out we have Spectrum and no international data option.

Hey, Marcia, what did you end up going with and how did it work for you? TIA!

Link Copied to Clipboard