fabila 44
RonDon 40
JeanneB 35
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Kristi
Who's Online Now
26 registered members (steve74, GaryC, BillB42, MikeBiondo, GeorgeC1, xrayman67, Midsouth, SXMScubaman, Todd, fabila, Alltech63, dennis623, RatmansWife, sugarae, JeanneB, 11 invisible), 951 guests, and 126 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
La Playa - day at the beach #307583
10/25/2023 11:30 AM
10/25/2023 11:30 AM
Yonkers, NY
fabila Online content OP
Traveler
fabila  Online Content OP
Traveler
Yonkers, NY
We made it to Orient Bay today. Only one small rain shower that was minor where we didn't have to leave the comfort of our lounge chairs.

Stayed on La Playa's beachfront. We have fond memories when Bruno owned it so while he hasn't for several years we returned last year and liked the service and food. Today was no exception. While each year we see new staff they are always friendly and happy to assist when we need something. Two chairs and an umbrella costs $30. From advertising boards at other beachfronts we saw this was the "going" rate. There was no sagrassum at La Playa, the beachfront had been racked with lots of beach on the North end. The water was calm, no wind. It was a perfect beach day.

The last few years we have left our beach loungers to eat lunch in the dining area. It was difficult in years past to get David off the beach so we would eat on the beach. Lucky for me I've convinced him to take a "break" where we can sit comfortably while still gettting a beautiful view of the beach, palm trees and still "people watch."

David walked down to Club O to notice several beach fronts closed for the day. He also took a morning walk so some may have opened later. When we walked down to Kontiki after lunch they were still closed and the water sports people were just starting to bring out some jet ski's and the parasail boat. Not many people on the beach, no cruise ships in so the beach vendors were at a bare minimum. I don't think we saw anyone until ater 1:30 pm.

We are sushi and sashimi lovers so for us they offer a great selection of both along with speciality rolls. As I'm cutting my carbs we ordered the deluxe sashimi platter consisting of 20 pieces of mixed fresh fish. They served it with several dipping sauces, sweet soy, cream wasabi, sirachi mayo and low sodium soy with lots of sliced ginger on the side, seaweek salad and some edmame. The Volcano roll had ingredients I liked so we also ordered that. A glass of Rose and two cocktails for a total of $88. No service or gratituty is added. If we had paid in cash it would have been one to one. With credit card it was the exchange rate. Don't ask me because I don't recall what she said. We tipped in cash.

Dinner was at Dinghy Dock. Business was slow while we were there although to our delight friends Chris and Doty showed up so we dined with them. We ate delicious burgers. I haven't had a burger in a while and this satisfied my craving. Served with lettuce, tomato, onion on a soft brioche bun. Fries were crispy and salty good. David got the blue cheesemac & cheese on the side . A very portion he liked but could not finish.

SIDENOTE: CRAIG from Packlight will rent to Beachside Villas guests. We rented one and he said that we let you all know.

Attached Files IMG_4880.jpegIMG_4884.jpegIMG_4878.jpeg
SXM Sponsors
Re: La Playa - day at the beach [Re: fabila] #307589
10/25/2023 12:18 PM
10/25/2023 12:18 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the post, Louise. I definitely agree with you, if I'm eating a nice meal, I much prefer to eat at a table in a comfortable chair. Truthfully, anymore, most of the time we just go to a beach restaurant for lunch and then leave afterwards, since we don't spend much time on the actual beach anymore. Especially when we are using it as our main meal of the day, I prefer not to eat sand along with my lunch. smile

Carol Hill