Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,067
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 31
RonDon 28
mahokid 27
erb923 25
GaKaye 20
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Posts: 152
Joined: August 2007
Today's Birthdays
MassExodus, mayhem
Who's Online Now
6 members (BarbyandLeo, Rugo, Rumlover, Angelface, L'Attitude, 1 invisible), 403 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
I recently received an email about Biras marina being added to a Spanish portfolio of superyacht marinas. Apparently there are big plans, not just for the marina, but also ONB style megamansions climbing up the ridge of Biras Hill.

This link shows some of what is proposed.

I advise not to open the link immediately after eating.

https://bellini.it/portfolio-articoli/biras-creek-marina-resort/


M4200 MANTA
BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
I read the whole thing..heartbreaking

Joined: Jul 2026
Posts: 3
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jul 2026
Posts: 3
YMMV but 2001 was peak Biras from our many experiences. A very special place back then. We may be slightly biased as one half of us is Dutch 🙂

This new development... 😑

Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 9
Likes: 1
N
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
N
Joined: Oct 2025
Posts: 9
Likes: 1
Yup! Toured the site last winter- big plans indeed. I fondly remember the low key yet elegant resort with great food in the very early ‘80’s with theThonnings at the helm .

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
We have long enjoyed snorkeling the mangroves on the north side of Biras Creek bay. At some point (pre Irma?) there was a road cut just to the other side of the mangroves, with spoil pushed to the side and a row of utility poles. The poles disappeared and I think the road cut was abandoned.
However, I read that a new road has been cut in July (we haven't been since April) and I'm bracing myself for seeing this area (and Biras Hill) degraded and destroyed.


M4200 MANTA
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,494
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,494
Likes: 5
For us, part of the attraction of the Bitter End was always the ability to walk the trail to Biras Creek, and on to the Fat Virgin Cafe. It will never be the same without that.

By the way, the NY Times just had an article about marinas, and groups of marinas, being bought up by investment companies. For example, this deal:

https://www.blackstone.com/news/pre...afe-harbor-marinas-in-5-65b-transaction/

Apparently marinas are viewed as a scarce and valuable resource in a world with an increasing share of wealth concentrated at the top.

Dan cheers

P.S. I'm adding on because I just saw the message from MrEZgoin that must have been posted just before mine. The trail I recall was exactly that -- just a narrow dirt walking trail, certainly without any utility poles. Was it later widened to an actual road? When I was there last year there didn't seem to be any place to access it from the Bitter End. Used to be that you'd walk up the stairs near BEYC's pool, and that led to the trail.

Last edited by DanS; 09/28/2026 08:34 PM.
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 603
Likes: 1
G
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 603
Likes: 1
I remember walking with several crew members along the pathway from Biras to Fat Virgin. There was a small sign along the trail which read "Iguana Crossing". I made the comment "like that's not for real". Then, a crew member pointed down to my feet in the middle of the pathway next to the sign. As if on cue, there was a large iguana which I was getting ready to trip over.

Last edited by ggffrr11; Yesterday at 06:46 AM.
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
K
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
K
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
First year we went was 2021. We loved it. Went once or twice a year for quite a while. After what's his name from Michigan took over we started to hate it. They were just sucking it dry for Oil Nut Bay.
That is when we started renting a villa in Nail Bay. Quieter and we stayed longer.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5