Member Spotlight
OceanSong
OceanSong
Hillsborough, NC
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
35 registered members (jbutah, taraavo, caribbeangirl13, BillDauterive, camview, socamon, bran, NumberCruncher, TC42, MikeBiondo, GeorgeC1, GaryC, duckfat, Manpot, ndfaninnc, lbksxm, deliveryskipper, Kennys, tangerine3, jazzgal, ChiTownHarry, PML, Compskier, nevar37, KenW, MamaB, hokiesailor, 8 invisible), 958 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Patmos and the Monastery of St. John #58008
06/13/2015 09:17 AM
06/13/2015 09:17 AM
S
Sunset_Sammy Offline OP
Traveler
Sunset_Sammy  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Day 11 Patmos

[Linked Image]

View of the harbor entrance from the monastery

We set sail for Patmos in the morning; it has the monastery where St. John had his vision of the Apocalypse and wrote the Book of Revelations. Once again we were besieged by light winds, so the engine got another workout. We arrived in the small harbor and anchored in the middle, where we would be out of the way of the ferry.
We looked into the hours for the monastery and found out that it was only open in the morning, which gave us a little over an hour to get there and visit this historic site. Arrangements were quickly made for two rental cars, since they are very small and we couldn’t fit into one. It was a mad dash up the winding roads, with Dan leading the way, but we arrived in good time. There is a bit of a climb to the monastery itself, which we managed without any problems; they have a dress code and photos are not allowed in some areas.

[Linked Image]

One of the 30 monks that live in the monastery

The monastery was large and built like a fortress, many halls and stairways leading here and there. We looked at some of the artifacts on display, including the skulls of St. Thomas and a couple other Saints I don’t remember.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scenes from inside the monastery

Once in the church, I stood before the alter and said some prayers; one of the curators must have seen me because he pulled us aside and gave us a private tour of a couple rooms off to the side. It was nice; there were old paintings and murals on the walls, all with religious significance depicting scenes from the bible and religious folklore.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can't hurt to play it safe, maybe when I get home Nick will have his bags packed to move out

Afterwards we had lunch at one of the restaurants nearby, overlooking the harbor and channel into town. Since we had the cars we did an impromptu island tour, however all the signs are in Greek and the map we had wasn’t very detailed; at one point we ended up driving down a narrow alleyway, which then became more of a sidewalk; the shop owners looked at us in disbelief as we made our way past the racks of goods for sale before having to back out when it became too narrow even for our small Fiat.

[Linked Image]

The original plan was to sail to Mykenos and all started out well, motoring into light winds; however once the sun set the winds picked up quite a bit and we had one heck of a bumpy ride. Pete and I were scheduled for the 3:00 am to 6:00 watch so I tried to get some sleep while being jostled around in my bunk. At one point the boat tacked and the motion quieted down, once I got up for watch I found out the reason; we had made a course change during the night since everyone on board, except Dan, em and myself were seasick.

[Linked Image]

About 4:30 am we entered the bay at the island of Amorgos and slowly made our way to a suitable anchorage with Em on lookout from the bow with the boats spotlight. Since during the worst of it, the dorade vent started leaking water onto my bunk, I convinced Dan that I was certainly due a ration of grog, and then him and I finished up the last of the whisky while enjoying the tranquility of the bay.

Sorry about some of the photos being sideways, photobucket is going to be the death of me yet

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!
Sponsors
Re: Patmos and the Monastery of St. John [Re: Sunset_Sammy] #58009
06/13/2015 09:33 AM
06/13/2015 09:33 AM
Austin, Texas
B
BerneandGary Offline
Traveler
BerneandGary  Offline
Traveler
B
Austin, Texas
Loving your reports & pictures!!!

Gotta Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart...(J.B.)
Re: Patmos and the Monastery of St. John [Re: BerneandGary] #58010
06/13/2015 02:30 PM
06/13/2015 02:30 PM
L
LBI2SXM Offline
Traveler
LBI2SXM  Offline
Traveler
L
What a fascinating journey! Enjoying every moment, photos are great. Look forward to every report!!

Moderated by  Eric_Hill