Trip Report 4.16-4.21
Was woken up at 3:30am by a phone call from AA telling us our 6:30am flight had ben cancelled. They were able to reroute us through Chicago vs Dallas and arrived in STT approx 5 hours later than originally planned. Glad they called but not the way I wanted to start the trip.
Wednesday 16th:
Took private cab from airport to Ritz. $90+tip for all 4. Could have shared a ride for 60 but considering we were already late we just wanted to get there. Had dinner (pizza and beer) at Great Bay located on property. As you will hear Great Bay has excellent service (thanks Kervin) and by far the best of any restaurant on property.
Thursday 17th:
Had breakfast at Blue Water located on property. Decent buffet style breakfast or order off menu. Service lacking-had to ask each and every time for a refill. I completely understand “island time” and I’m all for it but we were seriously disappointed by the overall lack of service at the Ritz-where service is supposed to be the cornerstone.
Chilled at the beach-good beach and the chairs on the main beach have a movable canopy which was nice. Service from the Beach Attendant Sue was fantastic, she is a wealth of information. Just flip up the flag attached to the chair and they were on it.
Went to dinner at Lotus in Redhook-very good sushi. Headed across the street to Duffy’s-enough said. Great evening!! Cab to Lotus from Ritz was $5/person.
Friday 18th:
Breakfast at Blue Water-again same story but service was marginally improved.
Took advantage of Shop Talk tour at the Ritz which provides a free shuttle into downtown for shopping. Except for that day, they took us to New Yacht Have because they said there wouldn’t be many stores open downtown due to lack of ships. Total BS. Walked around Yacht Haven and bought a few things for the wife at Louis Vuitton. Yacht haven only had approx 30 stores open. Jumped the quickest cab downtown and there were shops open everywhere. Highly recommend Henry at Magnum Jeweler’s, Neil at Royal Caribbean for watches and AH Riise for anything you could want.
Had lunch/apps at Greenhouse-excellent food and service from Squeaky.
Had dinner at Shipwreck-Damn good burger. Since it was still happy hour the burgers were half price.
Saturday 19th:
BEST DAY OF THE VACATION!!! If you’re ever in the area you have to book a day with Capt John on the Palma Bella. We went to St John, Jose van Dyke, Tortolla, and Sandy Spit. Had Foxy’s for lunch and went to Soggy Dollar bar to wind down the day. The snorkeling was fantastic and just being out all day island hopping was great.
I realize the description is short but I cannot say enough about the day-it was fantastic.
Pulled ourselves together and had dinner at Coconut Grove on property-service sucked, music was a joke. Had the ribs, which were ok.
Sunday 20th:
Breakfast at Blue Water-same poor service. Only breakfast place on property.
Chilled at the beach again today. Snorkeled in and around the area.
Dinner at Agave Terrace was excellent. All four of us dined with drinks and split a dessert for $225 + tip which I thought was very reasonable. I had the lobster bisque and the twin tails. Both ladies had the crab legs and the other husband had the mahi mahi.

Monday 21st:
Back through the airport grind.

About the Ritz:
Property was beautifully landscaped, clean and offered many water activities. The pool was nice and the beaches were soft white sand as one would expect.
I realize you might think I’ve harped all over the Ritz. There service was not “bad” by everyday standards but not what I expected from the Ritz. Other than the poor daily service at Blue Water both wives had spa treatments booked, two months in advance I might add. When the morning came for their second round of appointments the clinician was in a wreck so the Ritz cancelled their appointments…wouldn’t you expect they would have someone on call to catch these types of issues? I’m sure if a housekeeper called in sick those rooms wouldn’t go un-cleaned.
Great Bay located on property had the best service hands down and I think it has to do with Kervin. We had a great conversation and he talked proudly how Great Bay has continued to grow and become a very popular spot on the property. I explained to him it was because of the service-come to find out he is the service manager at Great Bay. He embodies what Ritz service should be. No, he wasn’t our personal servant-far from it. He simply took care of what we needed without having to ask for it. Light a cigar or cigarette, an ash tray and matches would appear. Drinks running low…here comes a fresh round. Of course he would ask first. I’m not looking for someone to stand tableside but simply be on top of things, know what your customers need and make sure, by asking, there is nothing that you’ve missed.