Hi All:

Just want to apologize for the length of this trip report. It really is more like a novel. Hopefully, it won't bore you with too much detail, just couldn't help myself. I had to cut and paste paragraph by paragraph because for some reason I kept getting an error when pasting the whole document from Word. I will post on here and one other site that helped me with reviews and questions before our trip. Once again, thank you all so much for your help. We loved every minute of this trip...literally!

Peter Island Resort, May 17 - May 22, 2008

Day 1 - Saturday, May 17

Up at 2:30 a.m., of course we tried to go to bed early Friday night, I think we had about 2 1/2 hours of sleep, but who cares, we figured will sleep on the beach. We had to be at JFK by 4:45, flight was at 6:50. Flight from JFK to SJU (AA) was on time. Third time going to SJU, second for the BVI, no problems to report (until the way home).

Arrived in SJU, got on our 12:20 flight (AE) to EIS, and just by the views from the plane, we were on our way to the beautiful Caribbean! Arrived at EIS a few minutes earlier than the scheduled 1:04 landing, went through Customs/Immigration (I think), took a little bit, but now we were truly on island time and did not care! Got our bags (of course someone wanted to help us, but we knew it was only right through those doors that we needed to go), walked through the doors, and there was a lady holding a sign for Peter Island. Perfect timing, got us in a van with another couple, and on the way to the PI Dock we went.

We saw a lot of steep hills and goats on the way, we were here in beautiful Tortola once again. Unfortunately, dh and I both smoke, so we had not had a cigarette since 4:30 in the morning, we asked when we got to the dock if we were allowed to smoke outside, “no problem mon”. Actually felt a little woozy after that, time to quit smoking for both of us. The funny thing is (especially in SJU) they sell them all over the place, but you can’t smoke anywhere. More on that later for our trip home.

PI has their own dock and a little air-conditioned office set up, they welcomed us in, offered us drinks (at no charge this time) and cold towels. We both ordered our first icy cold Caribs…ahhhhhh! Sat and waited not even 10 minutes for their ferry. Boarded the ferry with the other couple, and I think everyone else were workers from the resort. What nice people we met already. The boat ride over is just beautiful! About a ½ hour (if I remember correctly) ride over to Peter Island Resort….here we are for the next 5 days!

All I can say is OMG! It is just beautiful. I have done so much research, read so many reviews, and saw so many pictures of this place, and it was just not the same as seeing it in person. Got off the boat, they gave us an overview of the island, and on a golf cart off to our room we were taken.

We stayed in an OV room, room #119. We decided to stay in the OV rooms because the $300 difference in price for the beachfront was just a little too much. I am so glad we did. I have read so many reviews that people said the rooms were rundown, and they were not happy about the size, etc. Well, we were very happy with our room. It was bigger than I thought, the view of Tortola from the balcony was awesome, and yes, there were palm trees in the way, but are you kidding? That was part of the beautiful view, for us anyway. We couldn’t have been happier.

We used to be very room-conscious people. When we stayed at Biras Creek, VG, in August of 2004, we had the Grand Suite, it was really nice, but I think the prices of the nicer rooms are just not worth it anymore. I think the older we are getting the more we realize, how much time do we actually spend in the room anyway? Especially here, the resort is so beautiful, the room was just for showering and sleeping pretty much. But, all in all, we were happy with our room. Coffee pot, regular shower and bath, nice comfy bed, great balcony, safe, little refrigerator, and what did we have waiting for us? An icy cold bottle of champagne from the Manager, welcoming us, and wishing us a Happy Anniversary! That was really nice.

We opened up the two Caribs that were stocked in our little fridge, and unpacked pretty quickly. It was now a little after 3:00, and we wanted to walk around and see Deadman’s Beach. We walked down to the beach, and all I can say again is WOW! Absolutely beautiful! The views, the sand, the crystal clear blue water….we made it. Went right up to the beach bar and met Susan, our first bartender for that day, and ordered our first two Painkillers. Yummmm! No offense to Bira’s Painkillers, but they were the first ones we ever had, and these just blew them out of the water (no pun intended). These were creamy, and just delicious! Walked down on to the sand, pulled up a lounge chair and sat right by the water. Swam a little, relaxed, and soaked up a little sun.

Went back to our room a little later to get ready for dinner. Popped open the champagne! (after the 2 caribs, and painkillers, well let’s just say we started this vacation off very happy!) This was still Saturday, to us it felt like another day already. That was the good part about leaving from home so early. We still had the afternoon and evening to enjoy. Saturday night was their Caribbean/Seafood Buffet Dinner at Tradewinds.

The food was great. All sorts of food. Kismet, our waitress was really great too. Everyone here is so nice. The food was great, all sorts of appetizers, shrimp, salads, crab claws etc., main dinner was stuffed pork, sushi (not really for me, but dh likes it), smoked salmon, and honestly, after a few more cocktails I don’t recall the whole menu.

There was a band playing that night, and the two of us got up from the dinner table and danced under the stars and moon for what felt like a few hours. We were the only ones dancing at first, and then were joined by a few others. It was just perfect, and the band was great.

Literally stumbled back to our room, and passed out for the night.

Day 2 - Sunday, May 18

We both slept great. DH was up at 6 to his morning jog, which he did everyday while we were here. He got to see some magnificent views from way up on the island, and somehow managed to “brush” against a cactus and had long spurs in his arm…came back with red marks on him that were swollen the whole time we were there LOL, sorry, just had to laugh! I was going to join him a couple of times, but the hills are very steep, and if you don’t get out there early, it gets very hot and even harder to walk. I didn’t want to kill myself on hiking, so I decided not to go. Maybe next time.

Went to breakfast…and we just had to order the coconut crusted French toast that I heard so much about, out of this world! We met Jeanne, they call her their Lady of the Island. She has worked there for a long time and is just soooo sweet and kind. It felt like we knew her already. I had spoken with her a few times on the phone, but it was nice to meet her in person.

We made our dinner reservations for Tradewinds that night, booked our picnic lunch on White Bay for Monday, and our Sunset @ the Loop for Tuesday. Went to the dive shop to pick up some fins. Then off to Deadman’s for the day.

A day of total relaxation. We got to meet Stephen, the bartender at Deadman’s. Just like I have heard from reading reviews, super super nice guy! Took our drink order for 2 caribs, and a few minutes later, they arrived at our little spot in an icy silver bucket! We just couldn’t ask for anything more.

We snorkeled, got to see a lot of fish too. We mostly snorkeled to the left of the beach (in front of the beachfront suites) at the point. It was great, you do have to be a little careful, especially if you snorkel outside the swimming area because of some of the boats that go by….I was a little nervous about that, but it ended up being fine. DH snorkeled the other side one day, and didn’t see as many fish, but did see a stingray that day. The snorkeling was really good, in our opinion. Relaxed on the beach more…how does relaxing on the beach get you so tired and hungry all the time? hehe Again, the shock of the beauty is still setting in on both of us. We were in awe. A few catamarans and yachts and other sailboats etc, just looked beautiful on the bay. Ahhhhhh…paradise!

Ate lunch at Deadman’s Bar & Grill (Caesar salad with grilled shrimp, and a jerk pork wrap for me, fried calamari with a chipotle sauce, and a skirt steak sandwich for him). Again, the food was really really good. Along with my first Bushwacker! WOW! Now you know why I was looking for the recipe when we came home….soooo good.

They had a steel-drum band playing during lunch “The Shooting Stars”. Jeanne and Stephen both danced. It was really a lot of fun, and great music. We purchased one of the bands cd’s that Jeanne sold to us, so at least we can listen to them while at home, depressed, and drinking bushwackers and painkillers LOL.

Left the beach around 4:00, stopped up at Tradewinds for “high tea” (I love that). Back to the room, relaxed a little, called home just once to check on my cat…had to. She was fine, and so was everyone else. Felt like we were gone for days already, but it has really just begun! Got fixed up for dinner at Tradewinds again that night. Bottle of nice red wine, appetizers (shrimp and asparagus risotto for me, Caesar salad, and pan seared scallops for him), really good, dinner (beef tenderloin with a mint orzo for me…perfect, rack of lamb for him…also perfect). The waitress that night recommended the Lemon Tart for dessert for dh, which was really good, and I had a chocolate truffle with caramel in the center… OMG, I really was in heaven. Cappacinos and frangelico, and we were stuffed and satisfied. Once again, the food was great, as well as the service.

Then we walked on the beach under the (almost) full-moon! It was spectacular. These memories will be forever in my mind. The stars, the moon, us, toes in the sand and water at night, we just couldn’t ask for anything else, truly peaceful. What a way to end a perfect day!

Day 3 - Monday, May 19

Breakfast at Tradewinds. DH ordered the banana pancakes with tamarind syrup…WOW again, really really good. Went back to room to pack up for our 10 am trip to White Bay for the day.

We already ordered from the menu for our picnic lunch when we made the appointment the day before. DH wanted to have a separate cooler for us before lunch with a six pack of Caribs. I already knew what the price was going to be thanks to the TTOLers out there, and it was not a problem for us, but it was $38.00 for a six pack LOL! Well worth it though. They packed it in one of the lunch coolers that we will see more of later when they deliver the lunch. It was nice to have a few beers before, during and after lunch though. So the price was worth it for us anyway.

White Bay Beach was really nice. They have I think about seven huts or so set up, with a pretty nice distance between each for privacy. A few other couples were with us as well. We were in hut #4, kind of right in the middle of the beach, which was great since the snorkeling was good on both sides. The snorkeling (especially to the right) was really nice. A lot, a lot of underwater huge rocks, with a lot of fish too.

The beach was beautiful, with the view of Norman Island in the distance. Another perfect day in paradise. Lunch was delivered to us in another cooler like the one we already had for the beer LOL, at 12:15. I had ordered the roasted vegetable sandwich, dh had the roast beef. They really pack it up nice, with these trays that have compartments, one with tomatoes and pickles, one with fresh fruit, the other with bow tie pasta salad, and how dare I forget, the last one had their delicious cookies..oatmeal/coconut, and chocolate chip…heaven in a cooler LOL. I have to say, the veggie sandwich was really really good, so was the roast beef, but the veggies were just perfect. It really hit the spot. DH even liked mine better (we shared, of course). They also pack a huge bottle of water with your lunch, which was nice.

We swam, relaxed, snorkeled, and just soaked in every single minute that we could. The birds just walk around hoping you will give them a crumb or two, they are really cool looking seagulls I think? Different then the birds here in NY.

White Bay was beautiful. The ride going there from the other side is amazing. The views that you see are just indescribable, not to mention the very steep road, glad I wasn’t driving that is for sure. Still trying to figure out how my dh managed to see some of this already on his morning jog. The owner’s villa (I think Eagle’s Nest?) is up there, and I believe Falcons Nest as well as Ravens nest too. What incredible views.

I thought White Bay’s beach was really nice. In my honest opinion, I think the actual beauty of Deadman’s might be a little prettier. Don’t get me wrong, white bay was beautiful, quiet, and just perfect. I think that Deadmans is a little prettier, whiter sand (don’t get why they call white bay white bay LOL), and a little bit better snorkeling and views as well. Not complaining at all…would stay on either one forever if we could, no problem whatsoever. Deadmans has more people, but it just never felt crowded there either.

We chatted with a few other couples that we met (more great people) while waiting to get picked up at 3:15. Then we were driven? back to our new home to get ready for the Managers Cocktail Party and the West Indian Night Buffet at Deadman’s. Stopped for High Tea again, and back to our room.

The drinks (on them for the hour) were rum punch…yummy. Chatted with some people, again, guests as well as staff were just great. Listened to the Shooting Stars Band that we heard the day before during lunch, playing while people chatted, drank, ate appetizers, right on the beach, ahhhh…perfect once again. Then we went to sit down for the buffet dinner.

The buffet was awesome. Bottle of wine for us (again LOL), all kinds of salads, jerk chicken, beef patties, beef stew, roasted veggies, shrimp skewers, mahi mahi, rice and beans (or peas? I think they call it), pork loin and on and on and on. I had never imagined buffet food to be so good. It was great. No complaints at all about the food for us Nyers so far.

Then we got to see the Jumby Dancers. WOW! Young guys on really really tall stilts, dancing in front of the band, they were incredible. Very entertaining. What a night! Finished dinner, took our shoes off and walked back to our room via the beach once again. The moon, stars, sand, I can truly get used to this and already have…seriously.

Stopped at the club house by the pool near Tradewinds to play a few games of pool with dh. There is a tv in there (which I really didn’t miss at all, nor did dh), and computers for the guests to use, and a chess board set up. Really nice. A nice way to end the evening. We are suckers for pool/billiards, darts etc., so it was a fun way to end the night. Didn’t even really look at the tv or the computers, we left all that home, and were glad we did.