My wife and I (in late 30’s, have visited Club Orient, Grand Lido Braco and Caliente Tampa among other resorts), along with her mother Jean and stepfather Bill (one previous stay at Club Orient), stayed at Caliente Caribe over Thanksgiving week (specifically Nov 21 – 28). We had a great time – how could one not! – but are unsure whether we’ll return or not. The resort was quite beautiful, the staff was perhaps the best that we’ve encountered, and the food was better than expected given what I’ve previously read here – all definite pluses. On the other hand, there were only an average of 20 – 25 people at the resort, which meant no water volleyball, no disco, etc. We’d definitely go back if we knew more people were there – hopefully this trip report will help allay some fears.

Highlights:

Accessibility. My wife has MS and walks with a cane, so we were concerned about the ~50 steps between sections. In all honesty, they weren’t really that big of a deal at all. It sounds like a lot but was only the equivalent of a few floors, and there were painted rocks to read – as well as a sloped golf cart path that could be walked up or down as an alternative. The staff also offered to transport Sue to the top or bottom at any time. They often use vehicles themselves so it isn’t a burden for them.

Accommodations – Everyone was automatically upgraded from whatever they booked to an Ocean Villa because of the low occupancy-- the resort wanted to put everyone in the lower beach area to be convenient for us and them. The rooms were spacious. My mother’s bathroom and kitchen had been extensively renovated, ours was not but was still modern. Rooms had air conditioning, televisions (with ESPN and major US networks in English), a coffee maker, and all the fixings for that. Most rooms didn’t have a microwave, but I heard of some that did. We did not have a stovetop or oven but had a refrigerator which was stocked with water, soda and beer. Maid service is once a day.

Weather – it was the Caribbean in winter, which can be unpredictable. A tropical storm passing nearby caused rainy and windy conditions for most of our stay. We managed to get some sun in a few days, but otherwise could hang out at the beach bar, spend time in the spacious hot tub, etc.

Food & Drink – All meals were menu-based. The menu for breakfast and lunch was the same every day (although had enough options that we didn’t need to repeat). Dinner had a different menu each night.

Breakfast was served in the main dining room at the top. There were omelets, eggs, breakfast meats, pancakes, French toast, great potatoes, cold cereal, oatmeal, fresh fruit, and some great Danish. The omelets were overdone and dry, but other than that breakfast was good. Although there were many days I wished a continental breakfast was available at the beach bar – sometimes you just don’t need a full sit-down breakfast. (On that note, on our last day I went up alone and asked for a Danish basket and fruit plate to go, which they prepared.)

Lunch was served at the beach bar and had three pages of menu choices. There was a new soup every day (which wasn’t the same as the dinner soup). Our favorite was the Dominican beef or chicken which came with rice and black beans. The tuna or egg salad was not overly mayonnaise filled. Lunch platters usually came with fried plantains and were generous portions.

The beach bar also had an ongoing snack bar all day (starting 11 am) consisting of pizzas and hot dogs. There was also a scheduled snack each day at 4 that changed each day (nachos or fruit, or something like that.)

The dinner menu had four entrée choices – sometimes we wanted more options. The options were usually red meat (beef, rabbit), white meat (chicken, pork), fish/seafood, and pasta. All of the meals were very good, even the conch was tender. All were served with fresh vegetables and potatoes. There was a salad and soup for every meal. The desserts weren’t impressive.

We usually had the house Chilean white wine – which I suspect had a higher alcohol content than I’m used to. Jim was not always able to get diet coke (as opposed to regular coke). They didn’t have champagne, although the staff did go out on a special request to buy 2 bottles for a person celebrating their birthday. We aren’t top shelf liquor people and were fine with the standard alcohol, although I did see a bottle of Absolut behind the bar. Beer was a local variety and server on tap.

As far as service we didn’t have any problem getting beverages whenever we needed them – in fact, Jose (the beach bartender) learned everyone’s name and drink, and brought drinks to the hot tub until the bar closed at 1am. He ever brought a drink to my room once when it was raining….

Also – they had a nice buffet for Thanksgiving, even though there were only 6 U.S. people there. Carved turkey, potatoes, cranberry sauce, plus other standard local items. A very nice touch!!!

Theme nights -- Most women dressed for the various theme nights at dinner. Men usually just wore shorts or brought a towel. There were probably less than 30 people at the resort the whole time we were there, so perhaps things were more casual. We never felt pressure to be dressed up for the theme, but they certainly added to the ambiance. The dining area was decorated each night with balloons to match the theme.

Creatures – there were tiny ants in the bathroom. They weren’t overwhelming and I would expect them in the Caribbean. There was a lizard in our room most of the time, and a few around. Tiny and small hermit crabs were almost everywhere on the beach. There was only one cat at the resort. Sand crabs walk on the beach sometimes. And all kinds of things can get in the pools. But nothing that was problematic – all part of what we expect in a beach villa in the Caribbean.

General Caribbean problems

- Power did go out once, but for less than ten minutes.

- We could not make a telephone call to the US at any time during the trip, using either my blackberry or one of the staff phones. Phones at the resort did not work at all. Jim’s blackberry did receive email, and the internet connection in the free rooms and the lounge was working. (Free wireless Internet on an outdoor patio – can’t be beat.)

- The lower hot tub would not heat our final two nights and was only comfortable during the day. The upper hot tub also was broken our final night, although working when we left the next morning. The staff was not completely honest about the problem – although I suspect they didn’t originally understand the issue.

Services / Activities. They have scheduled games twice a day (horseshoes, darts, etc.) where the winner gets a prize (a small contained of coffee). The games were cancelled when raining though. There are also scheduled water volleyball games twice a day, although all but one were cancelled due to the low occupancy.

The spa is managed separately from the resort and staffed by several masseuses who spend summers in Massachusetts and winters at Caliente. The 4-hand massage is well worth the time and money.

TRIP DIARY

November 21, 2008 - Friday

Stayed in Newark last night to get an early start on the airport. The plane boarded on time, but sat on the tarmac for an hour before takeoff.

Got to Puerto Plata at around 3:00 Dominican Republic Time. Met the driver at the airport and got a beer for the ride in the little van – it was just our party of four. Go to the bathroom before the ride. The driver didn’t speak (English) so it wasn’t a guided tour, passed lots of cows and horses.

We arrived at the resort 1 ¼ hours later – greeted at the door with a rum punch by Bob and his wife. Took a brief tour of that top level. Got in a different vehicle to go to our rooms. We were both upgraded to an ocean level villa – our room is near the bar.

On Fridays, dinner is served at the lower beach bar for pirate night. We had a choice or chicken, pork, or fish and baked potatoes preceded by Caribbean soup and salad. Also had rice and black beans with veggies. All was very good.

Played the ‘swing ring onto hook’ game a bit. Bill had played before and got back into the habit. Stayed at the beach bar and danced a little.

November 22, 2008 – Saturday

Slept past breakfast. It was very windy and cloudy all day. Had lunch at the beach bar – Jim had a burger while I had the veggie soup and Dominican beef. Jim’s hamburger bun was a little stale, the beef was wonderful.

Hot tubbed after lunch, then napped before dinner. We walked the ramp up to dinner. I had sea bass while Jim had chicken. We had avocado salad and white wine; cherry pie was dessert.

Tried to complete a phone call through the concierge desk – still can’t get off the island. Went to the bar and then to the hot tub up top. Even though it was supposed to be a disco night no one stayed. A large group was at the beach hot tub. We had a drink at the bar with Mom and Bill.

November 23, 2008 - Sunday

Walked up top to breakfast. I had the garden omelet – overdone – and Jim had pancakes. Took the steps down. It was sunny and nice so sat at the pool. Jim and I maneuvered onto the smiley float and sunned in the pool. Talked to the leaving Canadians – who recommended the 4-hand massage. Had lunch then back to the pool. It began raining in earnest at 3:00 – so went inside to watch football and nap before dinner.

Jose knocked on our door with a drink for Jim – and to arrange our ride to the top for dinner. We had 4 different entrees at the table: octopus, chicken canoli, pork, and rabbit – Bill had the bunny. It was black and white themed night the tables were dressed with black flowers and table cloths.

After dinner went to the internet and lounge for checking fantasy scores. Declined karaoke and headed for the lower bar. Played Pass the Pigs with Jose. Went to the hot tub with two other couples.

November 24, 2008 - Monday

After breakfast I found star charts on the web, Jim retrieved me from the computer because the sun was finally shining. Mom and I had a manicure at 2:00 – which we both messed up right away. Joined Jim in the hot tub with a gang of people. It remained cloudy and windy. Met Mom and Bill for dinner – they had steak and Jim had the stuffed chicken while I had the spaghetti. Stayed up at the bar for the singing duo and some dancing. Then back to the hot tub for some sparkling conversation, got in after 1:00.

November 25, 2008 - Tuesday

Finally, the sun is shining. Went for a morning walk along the beach. Had Spanish lessons this morning. Jim is now playing testicle toss with a group. We have our 4-hand massage at 11:00.

The massage was phenomenal. It cleared up the kink in my neck. Went back to the pool and soaked up the sun for the rest of the day.

Walked up to dinner in my red dress. Jim work a red t-shirt and pajama bottoms. I had the tortellini, Jim had the fried fish. Then went to the magic show. Sat next to L & S from Ukraine. D & M (UK) joined us while Mom and Bill were at the far end with some other smokers (Canadians) who had just arrived. The magic show was very entertaining, a neat change from the loud music. A goat appearing was the finale. After it stopped raining L, S, D, M, Jim and I went to the lower hot tub. With the language barrier we had a long conversation.

November 26, 2008 - Wednesday

Ate breakfast up top. Jim explored to see the cows in the field next to the hotel while I paid the spa bill.

Hung out in the sun at the pool, had a smaller lunch. Jim played coconut bowling, the sun shined all day.

We had conch for dinner – we later heard they may have been freshly found on the beach. M received a birthday cake from the staff which she served to the entire dinner crowd.

After dinner hung out at the bar listening to the band – very good trumpet – but too loud. Word got around that the lower hot tub wasn’t working, so we went to the upper hot tub joining R & K (Canadian). The rest soon joined us and we stayed there for hours.

November 27, 2008 – Thursday

After breakfast, went to the roof of one of the buildings up top and saw the gentle cows and a great view.

Back to the sun at the beach pool. Jim played (and won) at testicle toss, it’s almost done sprinkling. Spent the rest of the day sunning at the pool. We were almost ready to skip lunch when the waiter offered to bring it to us at the pool. It began raining in earnest at 3:00 so went to our villa. Played our word game for a little – then to the bar. Jose, D&M shared some pictures.

We knew dinner would be a Thanksgiving buffet at 7:30. There were only six Americans at the resort – so we had some explaining to do. (“What is Thanksgiving?”) The food was very good.

Went to the lower hot tub which was still not working, and the upper hot tub was now cold as well. Abandoned the tub when we got too cold. Met B & I new arrivals originally from Poland, now in Canada.

Went back to the bar. Alex was still on duty as social coordinator– he organized a card game – Screw Your Neighbor. I was winning till the very end when Mom beat Alex. The cards were so worn – we donated our double deck. There was too much talk about the broken hot tub.

November 28, 2008 – Friday

Our last day. Spent as much time in the sun as possible. Left the pool at 10:30 to get ready to go. Drive to airport was uneventful. Checked in, walked through duty free shops, then ate lunch at the gate and came home.