Traveltalkonline.com Forums


SXM Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors SXM Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics31,948
Posts246,491
Members25,583
Most Online2,218
Jan 21st, 2020
Top Posters(30 Days)
EdB 78
fabila 74
Zanshin 51
Kennys 42
GaKaye 41
pat 41
Member Spotlight
UncleLuff
UncleLuff
Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 286
Joined: December 2015
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (dvesc, keepingupwithme, IWIWSE), 115 guests, and 395 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: charlieh] #89630
03/11/2016 07:07 AM
03/11/2016 07:07 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 996
falmouth,MA
wendyk Offline
Traveler
wendyk  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 996
falmouth,MA
I missed that - not good.

SXM Sponsors
Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: wendyk] #89631
03/11/2016 07:13 AM
03/11/2016 07:13 AM
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
I
IslandLover74 Offline
Traveler
IslandLover74  Offline
Traveler
I
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Any early reports from the island? Headed to O'Hare.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: IslandLover74] #89632
03/11/2016 07:55 AM
03/11/2016 07:55 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 230
D
DarkDiggler Offline
Traveler
DarkDiggler  Offline
Traveler
D
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 230
Roads are clear

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: DarkDiggler] #89633
03/11/2016 08:07 AM
03/11/2016 08:07 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 311
daveb7 Offline
Traveler
daveb7  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 311
A letter to the Daily Herald from a tourist who was on vacation during the protest-

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/opinion/letter-to-the-editor/56038-hostat-orient-beach

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: daveb7] #89634
03/11/2016 08:33 AM
03/11/2016 08:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 420
South Coast of MA
S
SXMBND Offline
Traveler
SXMBND  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 420
South Coast of MA
Great editorial........I'm sure the Dutch side will suffer from this also just in the loss of the $60.00 / head / round trip tax at the airport. Hope they can settle this quickly and quietly. <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/handshake.gif" alt="" />

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: ruralcarrier] #89635
03/11/2016 09:52 AM
03/11/2016 09:52 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,086
P
PelicanPirate Offline
Traveler
PelicanPirate  Offline
Traveler
P
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,086
In chats with our cabbies, these folks have legitimate issues regarding land ownership/business rights that are being totally upended. We'd be in the streets too if it happened Here.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: PelicanPirate] #89636
03/11/2016 10:05 AM
03/11/2016 10:05 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
As I understand it, there are numerous issues all over the French side, from the Orient situation, long term land ownership, to the Grand Case beach umbrella and land ownership issues, to Le Gallion and the Nature Reserve. I'm not sure what the issues are in French Quarter, which I think are different, but it appears that the government basically continues to ignore what the residents want, on a whole host of issues. It is an extremely difficult issue all the way around, but hopefully they will be able to get some resolution soon, as this situation is very damaging to everyone.


Carol Hill
Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Carol_Hill] #89637
03/11/2016 10:19 AM
03/11/2016 10:19 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,875
BVI
Zanshin Offline
Traveler
Zanshin  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,875
BVI
On the VHF radio net here in St. Martin this morning one of the cruisers told how he'd gotten stopped in his rental car by a roadblock where they'd demanded money to let him pass. Upon refusal, his car was pelted with large rocks that dented his roof and he did make a police report. That kind of treatment by people who live off the tourism sector is certainly going to backfire.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Zanshin] #89638
03/11/2016 10:28 AM
03/11/2016 10:28 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
I saw in the Daily Herald they said there were unconfirmed reports of people being accosted who refused to pay to walk through the roadblocks.. These are sad days.


Carol Hill
Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Carol_Hill] #89639
03/11/2016 11:10 AM
03/11/2016 11:10 AM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 837
Florida
W
wilsonck Offline
Traveler
wilsonck  Offline
Traveler
W
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 837
Florida
Wow...I understand those who want to protest their issues with the Collectivité, but accosting people who refused to pay and wanted to walk through the roadblock is crazy.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: wilsonck] #89640
03/11/2016 11:36 AM
03/11/2016 11:36 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,160
Greensboro, NC
charlieh Offline
Traveler
charlieh  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,160
Greensboro, NC
I wonder what the "bigger picture" is here? It's my understanding that the French side is in fact part of France, so there must be some kind of supervision in France.

From my perspective, it's kind of unreal how big a deal that Orient Beach has become to the island in general. I know that Club O has been there a really long time and is well established, but the "touristy" thing there started after my first island visit.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Zanshin] #89641
03/11/2016 11:49 AM
03/11/2016 11:49 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 13,209
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 13,209
Brookfield, CT.
Quote
Zanshin said:
On the VHF radio net here in St. Martin this morning one of the cruisers told how he'd gotten stopped in his rental car by a roadblock where they'd demanded money to let him pass. Upon refusal, his car was pelted with large rocks that dented his roof and he did make a police report. That kind of treatment by people who live off the tourism sector is certainly going to backfire.


IMHO,

I was and still am one who believes the French have totally legitimate gripes, and apparently a lot more than I thought and was aware of, and I fully 'get' their peaceful demonstrations and roadblocks.

This story and others along the same line reported yesterday afternoon and this morning take the situation to a whole different level.

The government needs to get this under control and quickly, and while I don't think the majority of the people with real grievances are involved in it, those resorting to violence need to be dealt with swiftly and appropriately along with those trying to collect ransoms for access.

This is a huge black-eye to all of St. Martin and the government needs to take swift and appropriate action. <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/handshake.gif" alt="" /> <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/handshake.gif" alt="" />


Respectfully,

pat



"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: pat] #89642
03/11/2016 11:54 AM
03/11/2016 11:54 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
Agreed, on all counts, my friend. I cannot believe these stories coming out of St Martin I love. <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/cry.gif" alt="" />


Carol Hill
Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: charlieh] #89643
03/11/2016 12:10 PM
03/11/2016 12:10 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,001
Cape Cod
whammy Offline
Traveler
whammy  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,001
Cape Cod
Charlie, the "draw" to Orient Beach was, for us, the funky beach bars that we don't get at home.
Also, the gorgeous water for swimming! Now that it's all like a new mini-mall, the attraction is mostly gone.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Zanshin] #89644
03/11/2016 12:23 PM
03/11/2016 12:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,297
M
MotownTim Offline
Traveler
MotownTim  Offline
Traveler
M
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,297
Unfortunately things like this bring out the delinquents.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: whammy] #89645
03/11/2016 12:49 PM
03/11/2016 12:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 71
S. Carolina
J
JoeD1949 Offline
Traveler
JoeD1949  Offline
Traveler
J
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 71
S. Carolina
Quote
whammy said:
Charlie, the "draw" to Orient Beach was, for us, the funky beach bars that we don't get at home.
Also, the gorgeous water for swimming! Now that it's all like a new mini-mall, the attraction is mostly gone.


I'd hardly call it a mini-mall, but I get your point. It could be a preview of things to come. Beyond the new structures is Kon Tiki and that can hardly be seen as funky, but there's a lot of room down the beach for more structures like the ones next to Pedro's. Hopefully, if the people in charge decide to build any more permanent structures they will be built with a lot more communication with the tenants and an understanding of what made the beach a draw for the visitors.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: charlieh] #89646
03/11/2016 12:54 PM
03/11/2016 12:54 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,086
P
PelicanPirate Offline
Traveler
PelicanPirate  Offline
Traveler
P
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,086
What I heard was the origin of a lot of this is from Paris. That they are imposing new rules , or enforcing old French rules, that are upending what had become the understood island normal. Unfortunately, maybe that understood normal didn't have legal legitimacy that may now be being sought with actual record keeping and deeds and leases and taxes, etc, etc. . Kind of like 3rd world getting first world rules.....

As for the violence, had a 74 yr old lady cabbie take us from airport to orient and without prompting from us as some naredewells in Marigot blocked her way on purpose she lamented the young do not want to work and they want what they see on tv now. They have no patience. She says she locks her door at 7pm and only goes out at night to go to church. She said there are many guns and many people have guns for defense but the police when they come will charge you for not running. A friend of hers had to shoot an intruder and he was charged. She said he told the judge "what was I to do, run and leave my wife and child behind, the judge dismissed the charges."

That said, we're booked for next New Years and we have always been cautious at home and around the world and know to avoid anything we aren't fully comfortable with.

It is their island and their economy largely depends on servicing us.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: PelicanPirate] #89647
03/11/2016 01:06 PM
03/11/2016 01:06 PM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
S
StephenPayne Offline
Member
StephenPayne  Offline
Member
S
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
Many of you have read or heard about the recent protests in St. Martin. Yes, it's true that the road in the French Quarter was blocked to vehicle traffic for about three days and there was a blockage for one day on the road to Marigot near the Cadesco gas station. However, as of this morning, the roads are open both to and from the French Quarter and Marigot, and we believe will continue to remain that way. Everything is open at Club Orient and was the entire week and all employees are on deck and looking forward to our family of guests returning as normal.

The protests were an inconvenience to many residents and guests on St. Martin, and we wish that the situation had not occurred. During the time of the two blockades, however, people were still allowed to walk through the blockades and continue on their way. It was a bit of a logistical challenge, as we had to arrange transportation to the blockade and then transfer luggage to a waiting taxi, but everyone took it pretty well in stride. Through it all, we had a full resort, multiple check-ins and check-outs, no one missed their flights or were unable to reach Club Orient. Guests went to Orient Village restaurants in the evening and ate at the Papagayo, just like any other evening.

I personally drove numerous guests and employees to the barricades, assisted them connecting with their taxis and often had people that were in the crowd help us with the luggage. Not only did I do this, but also Jean-Michel and our wives Linda and Adelle. If we had felt there was any inherent danger, we would not have done this.

To the best of my knowledge from others who live here, as well as in the local newspaper accounts, no one protestor or bystander was injured or threatened with harm. Yes, there were a couple of old cars set on fire, as well as a pile of tires in the French Quarter, but let’s keep it in perspective. I don’t mean to downplay the events of this week, but when we see some of the protests that seem to be a regular occurrence in the States with buildings being burned and countless physical confrontations, this one was a relatively minor and peaceful.

The number of protestors averaged between 50 and 100 people, depending on the day and time. This is a very small number considering our population. The Gendarmes were always present and there were no injuries to anyone. No structures were damaged and we believe that the two sides are on their way to reaching a viable solution to their differences.

I can’t speak for other properties or private villas, but all guests arriving or checking out of Club Orient during this week did so as scheduled, without incident - other than having to transfer between the taxi and the car we sent to pick them up (on the first day only). Everything remains open at Club Orient and we are operating normally.

Some of the online rhetoric is understandable from people inconvenienced or who were asked for money to pass (this was not part of the official protest group and the protestors actually reported the person to authorities). But please remember that France, like most Western Countries, including the US and Canada, have a long history of the right to peaceful protest.

If you have any other concerns or questions, please give us a call or email me directly.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Carol_Hill] #89648
03/11/2016 01:13 PM
03/11/2016 01:13 PM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 179
Tennessee
DannynGinger Offline
Traveler
DannynGinger  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 179
Tennessee
I understand the pain of the tourist that want to stay on the French side and feel uncomfortable doing so.
We have been coming to the island for 23 years, most of the time 2 to 3 times a year and used to spend time on the French side quite often for shopping and meals. We have always stayed on the Dutch side because of our time shares.
We stopped going to the French side about 5 years ago because of different reasons.
Have no reason to go back, even though for the great beaches, shopping or the food.
It's not right to put fear into the people that just want to enjoy a relaxing vacation.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: StephenPayne] #89649
03/11/2016 01:17 PM
03/11/2016 01:17 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,160
Greensboro, NC
charlieh Offline
Traveler
charlieh  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,160
Greensboro, NC
You should add your email address to your profile if you are encouraging emails.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: StephenPayne] #89650
03/11/2016 01:19 PM
03/11/2016 01:19 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,129
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline OP
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline OP
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,129
Ohio
I just watched a video that showed the Gendarmes moving through the area, two wide in vans/trucks and a front-loader along with many on foot. They appeared to be clearing whatever was in their path. Not sure when the video was taken but it appears there is going to be some kind of end if it has not already happened.


Video

You might have to be on facebook to access the video but I am not sure.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: StephenPayne] #89651
03/11/2016 01:22 PM
03/11/2016 01:22 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
Thanks so much for posting this information, Stephen


Carol Hill
Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: StephenPayne] #89652
03/11/2016 01:23 PM
03/11/2016 01:23 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,364
SXMWendell Offline
Traveler
SXMWendell  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,364
Your comments are after the fact. As this was going on who knows where this would have ended up.

I applaud you for being diligent in helping your guests.

SXM??? Wendell

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: charlieh] #89653
03/11/2016 01:27 PM
03/11/2016 01:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 311
daveb7 Offline
Traveler
daveb7  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 311
Thank you Stephen for your first hand report! Looking forward to seeing you and your wonderful team in 6 weeks!!!

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: daveb7] #89654
03/11/2016 02:23 PM
03/11/2016 02:23 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,050
Louisiana
o2bnsxm Offline
Traveler
o2bnsxm  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,050
Louisiana
Stephen, thanks for taking time to post. I appreciate your attention to this, and your efforts to make the stay for the Club O guests go as smoothly as possible.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: o2bnsxm] #89655
03/11/2016 04:30 PM
03/11/2016 04:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
K
KevinOR Offline
Traveler
KevinOR  Offline
Traveler
K
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Thank you all for keeping the thread informative and current. I went down to Mullet Bay (near airport) from Oyster Bay (staying here) for a beach day, then up to Marigot to get a Cappuccino at Sarafina's. Checked this site for updates and found the road was open! It is easier to get from Marigot to Orient Bay without having to swing down thru Simpson Bay and Phillipsburg.

Regarding the protests, I spoke to a guy at a nearby service station, indicated that the roads are open for now but no guarrantees with the road block going back up in future. The problems are unresolved, and there is no real sense of progress. As indicated by someone on this thread and repeated to me, a car was set on fire and the law enforcement used teargas to dispurse the crowd. Point here is they do have the right to protest peacefully, setting fire to the car was not a peaceful act, and therefore law enforcement could intervene.

Last point, I would be less than trurhful if I didn't admit this event influenced my question to return vs other vacation options. I truly understand all the rhetoric regarding rights to assemble peacefully and we certainly embrace that right, but when the total economy is driven from ~87% tourism and a barracade was up for 3 days on 1 of two primary roads, I simply don't trust the rationale to let such a dispute get to this frustration level.

Thanks again everyone. Out tomorrow ...

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: KevinOR] #89656
03/11/2016 04:58 PM
03/11/2016 04:58 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,495
MIA
I
irina Offline
Traveler
irina  Offline
Traveler
I
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,495
MIA
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-33634776

As you can see, these protests are quite common in Europe.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: irina] #89657
03/11/2016 05:26 PM
03/11/2016 05:26 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 311
daveb7 Offline
Traveler
daveb7  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 311
Quote
irina said:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-33634776

As you can see, these protests are quite common in Europe.


If Americans and Canadians decide not to visit Lyon next summer their economy won't collapse.
Tourism is much to important to Saint Martin for the French government to allow the only major road on the island to be blocked every 6 months.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: daveb7] #89658
03/11/2016 05:33 PM
03/11/2016 05:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,364
SXMWendell Offline
Traveler
SXMWendell  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,364
remember a road was blocked a few months back? A cruise ship tour bus was blocked. Causing couple on their honeymoon to be late arriving to the ship.
For some reason some people thought that was ok too.

I go to SXM for a relaxing vacation NOT to get caught up in ongoing island politics ( like I could do something about it). The island needs to get their internal politics in order so they can take care of the only island industry, tourism.

SXM??? Wendell

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: KevinOR] #89659
03/11/2016 06:10 PM
03/11/2016 06:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,631
Oyster Pond St. Martin
S
soualigacapt Offline
Traveler
soualigacapt  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,631
Oyster Pond St. Martin
Here is how things get distorted and the story becomes more and more inaccurate. The barricades were up 2 days, not 3 and were not up 24 hours per day. The road was clear during the night of the first day and did not go back up until about 8 the next day and were removed in the evening of the second day. There is no confirmed report of people being charged to pass or of cars being pelted with rocks. Just hearsay reports. I passed several times both days with no problem. The entrance to Orient Bay was blocked for one day. The second day the road was only blocked in French Quarter but it was easy to bypass through Spring which I did with no problem. I'm not trying to down play the problems it caused but just trying to keep things factual and not let hearsay and rumors flying.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: StephenPayne] #89660
03/11/2016 06:14 PM
03/11/2016 06:14 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 186
J
JulieandKarl Offline
Traveler
JulieandKarl  Offline
Traveler
J
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 186
Quote
StephenPayne said:
Many of you have read or heard about the recent protests in St. Martin. Yes, it's true that the road in the French Quarter was blocked to vehicle traffic for about three days and there was a blockage for one day on the road to Marigot near the Cadesco gas station. However, as of this morning, the roads are open both to and from the French Quarter and Marigot, and we believe will continue to remain that way. Everything is open at Club Orient and was the entire week and all employees are on deck and looking forward to our family of guests returning as normal.

The protests were an inconvenience to many residents and guests on St. Martin, and we wish that the situation had not occurred. During the time of the two blockades, however, people were still allowed to walk through the blockades and continue on their way. It was a bit of a logistical challenge, as we had to arrange transportation to the blockade and then transfer luggage to a waiting taxi, but everyone took it pretty well in stride. Through it all, we had a full resort, multiple check-ins and check-outs, no one missed their flights or were unable to reach Club Orient. Guests went to Orient Village restaurants in the evening and ate at the Papagayo, just like any other evening.

I personally drove numerous guests and employees to the barricades, assisted them connecting with their taxis and often had people that were in the crowd help us with the luggage. Not only did I do this, but also Jean-Michel and our wives Linda and Adelle. If we had felt there was any inherent danger, we would not have done this.

To the best of my knowledge from others who live here, as well as in the local newspaper accounts, no one protestor or bystander was injured or threatened with harm. Yes, there were a couple of old cars set on fire, as well as a pile of tires in the French Quarter, but let’s keep it in perspective. I don’t mean to downplay the events of this week, but when we see some of the protests that seem to be a regular occurrence in the States with buildings being burned and countless physical confrontations, this one was a relatively minor and peaceful.

The number of protestors averaged between 50 and 100 people, depending on the day and time. This is a very small number considering our population. The Gendarmes were always present and there were no injuries to anyone. No structures were damaged and we believe that the two sides are on their way to reaching a viable solution to their differences.

I can’t speak for other properties or private villas, but all guests arriving or checking out of Club Orient during this week did so as scheduled, without incident - other than having to transfer between the taxi and the car we sent to pick them up (on the first day only). Everything remains open at Club Orient and we are operating normally.

Some of the online rhetoric is understandable from people inconvenienced or who were asked for money to pass (this was not part of the official protest group and the protestors actually reported the person to authorities). But please remember that France, like most Western Countries, including the US and Canada, have a long history of the right to peaceful protest.

If you have any other concerns or questions, please give us a call or email me directly.


Well said. See you in June

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: DannynGinger] #89661
03/11/2016 06:16 PM
03/11/2016 06:16 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 186
J
JulieandKarl Offline
Traveler
JulieandKarl  Offline
Traveler
J
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 186
Quote
DannynGinger said:
I understand the pain of the tourist that want to stay on the French side and feel uncomfortable doing so.
We have been coming to the island for 23 years, most of the time 2 to 3 times a year and used to spend time on the French side quite often for shopping and meals. We have always stayed on the Dutch side because of our time shares.
We stopped going to the French side about 5 years ago because of different reasons.
Have no reason to go back, even though for the great beaches, shopping or the food.
It's not right to put fear into the people that just want to enjoy a relaxing vacation.


Why would you 'fear' the French side? Personally, I have been much more uncomfortable on the Dutch side in our rare excursions than ever on the French side.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: whammy] #89662
03/11/2016 06:57 PM
03/11/2016 06:57 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 996
falmouth,MA
wendyk Offline
Traveler
wendyk  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 996
falmouth,MA
agree with you, Windy.

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: soualigacapt] #89663
03/11/2016 07:05 PM
03/11/2016 07:05 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,624
Central Florida!
Bob--God knows, the Daily Herald OFTEN gets things wrong, but they did report about the extortion threats at the blockades there and stated it did happen. As I said, the DH is not always right, by any means, but I think that DID happen. There have been several first person reports about that.


Carol Hill
Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Carol_Hill] #89664
03/11/2016 10:29 PM
03/11/2016 10:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 475
Bangor, Maine
PattyB Offline
Traveler
PattyB  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 475
Bangor, Maine
Thank you Stephen, we'll be at Club O tomorrow night!

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Carol_Hill] #89665
03/12/2016 02:06 PM
03/12/2016 02:06 PM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 105
Boston, MA
Robert2 Offline
Traveler
Robert2  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 105
Boston, MA
Did I understand you can't go through middle ground but can go through Marigot and by Grand case to get to Orient Beach?
Thanks

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Robert2] #89666
03/12/2016 02:10 PM
03/12/2016 02:10 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,645
B
Bahston Offline
Traveler
Bahston  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,645
For what it's worth, from the Daily Herald at https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/56...o-consideration

"Assurance was given on Friday by protest organisers that there will be no further actions or civil unrest between now and Tuesday, March 15, the date protestors meet again with the Collectivité and Préfète Anne Laubies to hopefully hammer out an agreement acceptable to both the Orient Beach tenants and the Collectivité."

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Bahston] #89667
03/12/2016 02:19 PM
03/12/2016 02:19 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 13,209
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 13,209
Brookfield, CT.
Ah, but beware the ides of March...... Just kidding!!

I sincerely hope the people and the government agency(ies?) can finally come together and resolve their numerous issues. No one needs the aggravation and inconvenience and the islanders themselves most certainly don't !!<img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/jester.gif" alt="" /> <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/jester.gif" alt="" />


Respectfully,

pat



"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Bahston] #89668
03/12/2016 02:36 PM
03/12/2016 02:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 105
Boston, MA
Robert2 Offline
Traveler
Robert2  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 105
Boston, MA
Was I correct you can get in by way of Marigot? Thanks

Re: More Roadblocks/Protests Today?? [Re: Bahston] #89669
03/12/2016 02:39 PM
03/12/2016 02:39 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,364
SXMWendell Offline
Traveler
SXMWendell  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,364
Apparently it is not over with for the tourists then.

I hope the "orginizers" have that much control.

And what happens for tourists after March 15 if the outcome is not acceptable?

SXM??? Wendell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1