TravelTalkOnline

Christmas sailin crowd

Posted By: sailinshoe

Christmas sailin crowd - 11/18/2016 03:55 PM

For those who have sailed the BVI's during Christmas week, is the crowd such that we need to be on mooring ball by 3p? 4p? and if not, we will likely be anchoring...or are there ample moorings. If we intend to dine ashore, should reservations be made well in advance, instead of radioing in for a reservation that day. Thx for any insight.
Posted By: KevinM

Re: Christmas sailin crowd - 11/18/2016 08:37 PM

Mr. 'shoes:

The BVI is very busy that week, with *many* of boats out on charter. I recommend getting to a mooring much earlier than 3 or 4pm. More like 1-2pm in the more popular spots like Cooper Island.

Kev
Posted By: DEL

Re: Christmas sailin crowd - 11/19/2016 04:52 PM

Did Christmas week ten years ago and it was a zoo. Will never do it again. Arrive at your overnight spot by 1 or 2 at a minimum. Make restaurant reservations well in advance, especially NYE.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Christmas sailin crowd - 11/19/2016 05:36 PM

Should you find that you won't be where your dinner reservation is, please try and cancel so the restaurant may fill that spot.

It's sailing. Not everything goes according to plans.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Christmas sailin crowd - 11/20/2016 12:51 AM

We have been on island Christmas week for a good many years. Each year gets more crowded. By late afternoon there are charter boats squatting every private mooring anywhere near Marina Cay/Trellis Bay. I have seen 50' plus catamarans grab private moorings intended for 20' motor boats.

I have seen several catamarans anchored overnight on Diamond Reef at the same time. Maybe the anchor is 10-15' from the reef, but a little drag and the damage is done.

If you know you're likely to be at Leverick Bay or Scrub for a night, you may want to book those slips now.
Posted By: sailinshoe

Re: Christmas sailin crowd - 11/20/2016 04:32 PM

thanks all for some sage advice. I figured it would be busy but wanted to confirm so we could plan as much in advance as possible.
Posted By: windward2c

Re: Christmas sailin crowd - 11/22/2016 09:31 PM

Last Xmas did the USVI for first time after like 20 BVI trips. Had two anchorages to ourselves; even plenty of moorings outside of Caneel. St. John is beautiful! Did I enjoy it more than the BVI - NO! But was it far preferable to the stress of the Xmas crowds - YES!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline