RonDon 38
JeanneB 35
Kennys 28
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Oceanwaves22, redroses27
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (JerseyPal, duckfat, extreme, George1234, Matt W, DandG, MrEZgoin, KirkB, bailau, JeanneB, RatmansWife, boucharda, tangerine3, Beansbbq, StMartinFan, dennis623, pedalpusher, betsyg, BillS, timnboston, KenM, kaba, Jaybird, Swifty, BillB42, 12 invisible), 1,069 guests, and 101 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
10 hours ago The limits of price elasticity [by MrEZgoin]
This is not the kind of thing I would ever put on FB, because of the inevitable commentary, but a few days ago we thought we'd dinghy over to Saba Rock from BEYC and have a light lunch.

Saba used to be one of our favorite stops and we remember the $2.50 happy hour painkillers. The food was never a bargain, but our boys enjoyed the burgers and the ambiance was always a big part of it. The painkiller is now $17. For a pre-mix "standard" with rum and a couple of simple ingredients.

Looking at the bar food menu, we would have both chosen a salad, but the "appetizer" salad was $21 plus $10 to $12 to add a protein, making this a $33 appetizer salad at informal bar seating.

Eventually, we decided we just couldn't enjoy that and left without ordering and ate aboard.
Not sure what the point is, but somehow it made me sad. Looking over at Saba from BEYC, it almost always looks empty these days. Maybe that's different in the busiest times.

They are, of course, free to set their prices however they like, but for this couple who were once frequent visitors Saba is now just a spot that's pretty to look at and paddle around. sad
4 256 Read More
12 hours ago Trip Report 4.29.24 [by cruzer]
For the most part we’ve experienced mostly cloudy days. But, the Sahara dust is gone and the temperatures have moderated a bit. Still, good sunsets are a rarity.

I’m surprised at how crowded the restaurants are, as we are allegedly in low season. We’ve been making reservations for our meals, generally within 24 hours of dining, and have needed them. It’s very taxing on the kitchen staff and food takes a while to come from the kitchen.

Oh, and last Tuesday’s Les Mardis in Grand Case was cancelled and rescheduled for tomorrow. The final one until next year.

Other than meals and shopping excursions—food and drink—we tend to stay at the hotel. The convenience of our room, the hotel facilities especially two beaches and the pool, and my now favorite bar in the world make it a PITA to pack-up and go to another beach. Actually, we just bring laziness to a high art form.

Friday’s lunch was at Champagne. We had pre-reserved a parking lot front table and a bottle of Pinot Blanc. The place was hopping, all tables occupied at the restaurant and in the wine shop. Sylvain is normally a laid-back guy, but he was running that day. We shared an app of beef carpaccio, which we have declared the best on the island. The dressing is pesto-ish and topped with toasted pine nuts. As duck confit is now part of the regular menu, I now have a reliable source of confit.

Thursday evening, I’d pre-ordered a serving of Bouchot mussels from Sunset Café for dinner Friday, and that’s what I had. I was still full from lunch, but managed to finish it, and top it off with 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream. Their amuse bouche of a mixed vegetable frothy puree was excellent.

Saturday dinner was at Yvettes, and service was verrrry slow. I think Felix is the only one cooking in the kitchen, and there were a good 15 orders ahead of us. But the fish cakes app and snapper filet in a creole sauce made the wait worthwhile. While the entire staff was very busy with the dining room, Yvettes also does a brisk take-out business.

Sunday lunch was at Nice, with us splitting a beef carpaccio plate and I alone eating the tuna mi-cuit. Decided we needed a dessert, so ordered the classic French dessert—Tiramisu. I don’t see (ok, hear) that many non-French in that restaurant.

Carl Phillips is nearing completion on reconstructing his restaurant. He was having a buffet for his family to eat in or take home and was doing brisk business—he has 15 brothers and sisters. He invited us to join them. I tried to beg off as we’d just finished lunch at 3 but he said he had something special for me. That special thing was goat stew, which I believe is the best on the island. He should be re-opening for business soon, and we’re looking forward to eating there again.

This morning (Monday) we each have a 90-minute session scheduled with Patty Healing Hands on our terrace. So, no other plans.

On my food pictures, I usually have a few bites before remembering to take a picture. If I remember.

Life is good.
10 6 456 Read More
Yesterday at 11:21 PM bad weather? [by tangerine3]
taking a charter on friday, may 3rd for 5 nights. someone brought to my attention that cloud cover for our whole trip and reading another thread on here about weather being weird for this time of year. Do you think we are going to have a fluky 5 days of clouds and no sun and choppy? We will have a captain out of the moorings but don't know what or how to look for these types of things beforehand, what do you all think for May 3rd until May 9th? Any thoughts would be appreciated, couple on our boat are looking forward to diving and the rest of us snorkeling, hope not, Thanks
5 300 Read More
Yesterday at 10:18 PM Trip report/Dengue [by KenM]
I just posted this over on the Trip Advisor website….

Hello, just now around to posting a trip report from our trip in January. We spent a week on Orient at the Orient Beach hotel, then went on to St Barts for another week. SXM was wonderful, much improved from our last visit post Irma! When we went on to St Barts, within one day my wife became very ill and we contacted a local Dr. He immediately recognized Dengue symptoms, and long story short, she stayed in bed for four very painful days until we booked early flights home.

We love both islands and were unfortunate that our trip ended early and she became ill, which the symptoms lingered for several weeks.

I don’t understand why there are NO postings on TA about Dengue? I just did a search of this forum and the last post is several years old, when the TTOL forum and other sources reported epidemic levels in late 2023?

The worst part is that once one acquires the virus, symptoms from subsequent infections are worse. At this point I don’t know if I’ll ever get my wife to return to SXM…
6 704 Read More
Yesterday at 10:07 PM Cow Wreck Beach Cottages [by Slug]
Can anyone help with contact info or way to book Ann's Mother's Cabins? Does she still rent Them?

Thx, Doug
7 353 Read More
Yesterday at 03:17 PM Luis Swimsuits [by jandj]
I’m sure it’s somewhere on the forum already but does anyone have the contact info for Luis? Saw him on the beach yesterday and have a potential customer for him today. He told us he has a new swimsuit shop somewhere on the island.
10 667 Read More
Yesterday at 03:07 PM Lio Kai spotted 👀 [by Matt W]
Spotted the Lio Kai at Diamond Cay but only later saw MrEZ's post, confirming it was you aboard. Wish we had stopped by to say hello - I just assumed it was another charter crew. I did manage to give you a wave from our dinghy while you were reading out front. Below is a drone shot I got later - hope it catches some of the beauty of the day. Enjoy the rest of your visit, and hopefully our paths will cross again!
1 3 360 Read More
04/27/2024 11:23 PM A Walker for disabled or similar? [by bran]
Anyone know where I could hire one? Thx.
6 493 Read More
04/27/2024 10:48 PM March Visit To SMMC - Update [by Whale Tail]
I did not anticipate a visit to the emergency department on our March visit, but it happened out of the blue. Diagnosis was a stomach virus which was completely gone within a week and the vacation continued. I submitted my claim to our travel insurance provider when we returned to Canada, the total claim was for $2949.74 CAD. I received an email today advising me that they covered everything down to the penny. Didn't expect to need to use Travel Insurance but I'm sure glad I had it.
9 809 Read More
04/27/2024 09:58 PM It’s back [by The_Lurker]
Carol, Saba is back
along with the others!
Beautiful day!!!
St. David is in our backyard.
5 0 497 Read More