purplelily said:
Yikes! Having your boat boarded while you sleep is scary. I'd have to say if I survived that, it'd definitely be my last "vacation" in the area. We never take anything of much value, though. They'd be risking life and limb for our dime store sunglasses, a cracked iphone 6, and some wet swimsuits... I think my sandals cost more than anything else I take, but they'd need to wear a size 7.

Where I live (TX), you shoot first and ask questions (drag the body in) later if someone has the cajones to enter your house without an invitation. I guess on a charter in the BVI, you'd just need to be a good aim with the flare gun and can of Raid.

People impacted by drugs, needs, and illnesses can be anywhere. A shrub or corner near home or any anchorage/hotel. We should all be wary of looking like good bait. A cockpit full of bright iDevices at night looks like gold to some. To much flashy gold ashore or wads of cash flashed with each tab could be attractive to someone desperate anywhere. Leaving wallets on the nav table is really silly.

Across the Carribean over four decades we have only been victims on Antigua. A very long time ago in a large rented villa. With more than 25 crew on a maxi sleeping someone came in and was taking wallets and anything else they could find out or in pockets after a late night pool party. We felt really dumb. We thought we were untouchable. Each afternoon at the end of racing the police had truck load of guys they rounded up with hats or shoes they thought match the description of some things taken.

-One pair high tops with red shoe laces

-One Donald Duck Hat

-One pair rainbow socks

The police simply rounded up anyone that new to be trouble maker wearing funny shoes, shocks, or hats for us to inspect as we back up to the dock at the end of racing.

My two cents be less conspicuous than the other boats and crews around you. Do not leave out anything of any kind of value where it can easily seen through the portholes and hatches. Let somebody else be the easy juicy victim if the bad people become active. Try not to be so loudly and wildly obvious the entire boat crew is loading into the dinghy and leaving the boat empty for hours or returning to pass out when the time comes.