I think you are on the right track....easy enough to rent the car/truck on VG and cheaper than cabs. Nick of Leverick was kind enough to book for us. We used L&S and truck was delivered to us at Leverick shortly after our afternoon arrival at the dock, on time, but I see no reason car could not be delivered to Gun Creek...not sure where you'd park the vehicle overnight though, surely someone has done that before...maybe just talk to your way to Leverick as mentioned above if you plan to have vehicle overnight.

(After re-reading this post a couple times I thought I would mention, depending how adventurous you/your wife is/wants to be, you might consider thumbing it from Gun Creek. I did this in on my last visit while traveling alone, and ended up in the back of Blondies's truck who had no problem delivering me to Hog Heaven...after a few beers, caught a ride with some other folks to Spanish Town without a problem...if you got tired of thumbing it from here, you could easily take a much cheaper taxi to Baths....and then try your luck thumbing your way back, or just pay the fare back knowing you saved half already...just a thought)

Dinghy rides are doable from just about any North Sound destination in my opinion if weather and North Sound are calm, but any real wind and one way of that trip is wet wet wet...Doesn't bother me, but it sure does my wife....

Hog Heaven is a must do stop - if you rent the vehicle, you must stop...you may consider staying for just a beer/cocktail, but the view is worth an hour or more in my opinion.

For many years we skipped the Baths because we didn't like the day mooring options, swim in/out, etc...and then I read posts on this board that said to do the excursion by car. We could not have been more pleased. That being said, I would like to mention two things.

1- Arrive at the Baths in the Early AM if possible - we arrived before park even officially opened and it made all the difference - there are no gates. We had the place to ourselves for just over an hour or so...taking our time walking through the pools and then over to Devils bay. I elected to take the hike back to parking lot from Devils, and I am glad I did because the crowds had arrived. Saw a few blue lizards of some variety on that hike too fyi. (Bring your park pass as mentioned above in case someone asks)

2- Looks like you are from San Francisco. If you can handle Lombard street, you no doubt can handle elevation while driving. Anytime someone mentions driving on VG, I tend to toss in these comments. The roads are great, but some are very steep. The roads have quality beefy looking guard rails too. However, I live in Texas, so even though I knew what I was getting in to by driving, it's a little more stressful when 8 other lives are in your hands....I'd planned to have a few cocktails at dinner (Coco Mayo) but was too concerned about getting everyone back safely to have a single drop of alcohol at dinner - probably would have helped a little...driving in the daylight the next day (on our trip to Baths) seemed much better, but I was not driving then :), another crew member stepped up allowing me to white-knuckle the Oh S bar over the pass instead (twice).

So, good luck to ya!

Respect