First question - was the Avis price from Hotwire on an actual Avis International site or was it Avis on St. Maarten/St. Martin? This can - not saying it will - make a big difference and the local agencies aren't ALWAYS known to honor the International website quotes, even when you arrive with quote in hand. Some of the local companies of the same name are not affiliated with the international big guys.

I understand fully about wanting to get the best available price, and particularly since you're talking a month as opposed to just a week or so. You might try your Thrifty island contact and see if they can match the price you got, particularly if you've dealt with them for a while and have established a repeat relationship, and another suggestion might be to contact Avis on the island just to be certain they will honor those prices. They may very well do so. We always find it much to our advantage to deal with a real person than with a website. And I would also suggest if you deal with someone via email, save and bring the copies with you.

Regarding insurances, your US liability will most likely NOT cover you on SXM and your personal umbrella probably won't either. I think most of us depend on our credit cards, many of which automatically include the collision damage waiver in their pricing but you need to check your cards to be sure of your coverage and you need to refuse the car rental's coverage for it to be effective.

I would also question airport pick up and drop off of cars but that's just me. There is a specific fee involved to park cars there I believe, and most companies don't do this but actually pick you and your belongings up and take you to their offices. Again, not saying Avis does or doesn't but if it matters to you that's another question to ask.

Thank goodness we have a local company that we've used for years and years and don't worry about these things but I keep reading sad stories both here and on TA about car rental company issues.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."