My 11-year old daughter attended a week-long cooking camp a couple of weeks ago. One of her favorite recipes was the "Korean-style beef". We made it last night and it really was very good. The recipe below is for appetizer-size portions on skewers. We skipped the skewers and did the last cooking in a grill pan on the stove with the sauce, then served over Jasmine rice with ginger and garlic. Since I have school-age kids, I like that this recipe allows for the majority of the prep to be done earlier in the day when the house is quiet!

(credit for the recipe: Cookology)

Korean-style BBQ Beef Satay
Yield: 16 servings
Ingredients
2 lbs beef skirt steak, trimmed and sliced to ½ inch thick slices
¼ cup hoisin sauce
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup prepared barbecue sauce
1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, grated
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp chopped green onions
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
Directions
1. Heat a sauté pan over high heat for 2 minutes and place the beef slices onto the surface for 1 minute per side. Remove immediately and set aside
2. Whisk the hoisin, ketchup, barbecue sauce, chili sauce, soy sauce, ginger, vegetable oil, scallions and cilantro together in a large bowl. Add the grilled beef and refrigerate at least 1 hour to let the flavors blend.
3. Remove from the refrigerator and thread 2-3 pieces at a time onto pre-soaked bamboo skewers. Repeat with the remaining beef and warm in oven just before serving

**Skirt steak was $12/lb. I may try it with another cut of beef next time for a weeknight meal, we will see!

-Patti