We did the tour in 2016 and loved it. Our son was 10yo at the time. We specifically wanted to go to see the animals.

During our tour, we visited the birds (I followed their blog for years and my son loved their YouTube videos) and the turtles. Gumption and a few of the zoo keepers talked about the turtle breeding program and we were able to see (and hold) baby turtles.

We toured the solar farm area before hiking up to the crest of the hill and down to the flamingo pond area. This was a very hot hike and we all regretted wearing flip flops.

Another uphill hike to the main house where we visited the gift shop. We had been told at the time we made reservations that we would not see the main house. At the last minute, we were given a short period of time to tour the common areas and crow's nest. The staff offered us juices and ice water.

The last stop was the lemurs. We went into their enclosures and spent 20-30 minutes playing and feeding them treats. This was the highlight of the trip. They are like stuffed animals came to life. so much fun. I will say someone who is not an animal person would probably hate this part of the tour. The lemurs jump and crawl all over you.

From our point of view, this is not a life styles of the rich and famous tour, its a tour that focuses on the island, how the island operates and the animals.

Because of what we do for living, we found the physical plant side of the operations very interesting. Others may not.

I was impressed by the zoo keepers and Gumptions knowledge about the animals and their passion.

We had just returned from Disney's Animal Kingdom where we spent too much money for a behind the scenes tour to see animals from 50 yards away. At Necker, we could ask questions and see them up close. My 10yo just lit up when one of the keepers gave him a head of lettuce to feed the tortoises. He talked about the lemurs for weeks afterwards, remembering all their names.

Last edited by Cleobeach; 06/27/2017 10:36 AM.