Lot of variables with this comparison...we really like moving around the BVI's, but we've been looking into doing the STT thing ourselves. last trip on Orion we only spent 2 nights on STJ and that left us wanting more. Each trip we say that.

Charter cost wise, I did get a few last minute quotes from different charter companies this time and there are some cost differences between some of them, non refundable boat insurance fees most notably.

Comparing the sailing grounds....We have enjoyed circumnavigating STJ but I still know too little about what STT has to offer, such as bays to overnight in. We really like the mooring fields, beaches, snorkeling, hiking and simply the atmosphere at Maho, Francis and Leinster. We really like Coral Bay and Salt Pond when land based, the hike to Rams Head and Drunk Bay is cool especially during a full moon, so staying in these bays is on our list. BVI wins with many convenient mooring/anchoring options and of course beach bars, STJ john has very limited anchoring options on the south side which is exposed and there's no anchoring allowed inside the Coral Reef National Monument area.

Ferry to and from Tortola, adds up especially with a larger group! But they've never caused us to miss a flight on STT, we just have to be mindful to pick a late 1600hr flight and return the boat first thing in the morning.

Cruising taxes in BVI, these add up and now cost more for a US charter.

Flights from Dulles to STT are usually 1/3 to 1/2 less than EIS, and we usually fly direct into STT, which is very nice.

Food costs... sorry I don't pay that close attention to these costs, but I do know a case of Presidente is now $12 more on St John than in the BVI....sin tax bastards!

We have never been able to set sail the day of our arrival, that's because the earliest we've arrived on Tortola is maybe 1500hr and it takes time to settle in and do the check out. If we arrived at a STT marina at 1300hr I wonder if it's reasonable to expect to be sailing by 1600hr? Or do most sleep aboard the first night? If so, the extra travel time to sleep aboard on Tortola really isn't an issue.

Has anyone on a US charter experienced mechanical issues in the BVI's? and if so how was that handled by the charter company? We have had issues on several boats, once with Matrix we had an impellor go while on STJ, we were on a cat so we used one engine to get us back to the West End to be worked on. That was only a 20 minute trip, what if a US boat was in the North Sound or Anegada, how would those repairs be addressed by the charter company?

If we decide to charter out of STT, I think we would spend the majority of the trip in the USVI and do a couple of nights closer between Jost, West End, Norman etc.