Obviously, things could change with hurricane season including today's Maria.

With that said, earlier this year my family sailed from Tortola as far south as Iles des Saintes, spending much time there and up the west coast of Guadeloupe. We absolutely loved Guadeloupe for its great cruising, variety of activities while sailing, culture, diversified beauty, and food. We'd have gone down to Dominica (and possibly on to Martinique), but we needed to turn back north at some point so the Saintes was our southernmost point (before ultimately returning to Tortola).

So, I've not been to Martinique but have heard from many others cruisers that it is fantastic as well. Frankly, my next "normal" week - 2 week (vs 2 months as earlier this year) will likely be cruising between Guadeloupe - Martinique which is very doable (particularly for a 2 week plan).

I should tell you - for perspective - that while I have been chartering and sailing for over 30 years - with a great portion of those in the BVIs (including my own wedding at JVD while sailing) - the BVIs have personally grown out of favor for us as a cruising destination for several reasons. So, I would have picked your destinations as preferential to the BVIs even before the horrible destruction there. (Our trip started and terminated in Tortola only because that is where we had to pick up our catamaran - we prepped the boat there and immediately went south.)

I'm happy to provide more specifics on Guadeloupe in direct contact, if you'd like.

Good luck in your search and trip plans!

Kevin