Originally Posted by Catmandu
We have an evening start with Moorings in July. The start time is 6PM. How do you coordinate provisioning. Ride-Way delivers between 8AM and 6PM. Would they deliver at 6PM, would Moorings allow them to deliver earlier assuming boat is ready. If using Moorings would they have the boat provisioned that evening. I would not want to wait for the provisioning to be done next day as that would defeat the whole purpose of an evening start (leaving early next morning). Thanks in advance.

If you are chartering with Moorings (or Sunsail) with a 6pm boarding, then that is a sleep-aboard night. Your mandatory chart brief will be at 9:30 am the next morning (could be 8:30am some days- be sure to check). Your boat briefing will be immediately afterward. What you could do is have some of your crew wait for the provisions to arrive will you are attending the chart brief- only the Captain (and ideally the First Mate) need attend the chart brief.

My point is that if you have a 6pm boarding, be very flexible on anything beforehand. It might happen and it might not. We had a 6pm boarding a couple months ago and yes, our boat was ready at 3pm. We walked over to Rite-way (10 minute walk) and did our provisioning and taxied back with everything. So we were loaded and all aboard by 6pm but that is the sleep-aboard night and it's too late to go anywhere. So have a nice meal and a cocktail at Charlies. Of course when we were there it was dark by 6:30pm, so your options might vary.

Don't worry- you could still be on your way by noon if your crew handles the provisions and you and a couple others handle the chart and boat briefs. Still leaves you in easy range of Norman or Cooper or JVD. We even did Leverick Bay under those exact circumstances (though that was pushing it considering 30+ kt winds and 12+ foot breaking seas on the bow).

Okay- one other possibility. You don't mention when you are arriving at the Moorings base. In our case, we arrived the day before and stayed at the Mariner Inn. Had we wanted, we could have attended the 9:30am Chart Brief the day before our charter and possibly even finagled a boat brief for a similar vessel the day before. But like I said, you don't mention when you are arriving, and in any case it might work and it might not. Did I mention I recommend a cocktail at Charlies and the seafood pasta? chef

Kupe