We were owners of a two bedroom /with upstairs in the C building. 1 week. During high season. We specifically purchased that units for the points.

I'll explain.

Previously we owned two weeks in the B building during low season. My wife (girlfriend at the time) purchased those weeks in 2001. She bought sight unseen, while visiting her parents' Royal Resorts timeshare in Cancun. I was not there and I was livid. Why would you get sucked in to that!! Total Scam!! But when what she told me what she paid and it included a week in the Cayman's (Royal Resort was developing another property there at the time), I was fine. It was very low risk and we could have easily walked away years ago if it did not work out. I was not able to visit the island until 2008 ( we married in 2003), but we easily rented it out to friend and family.

When we finally were able to make it together we were hooked. The resort was still in its down swing with ownership/bankruptcy issues and the B buildings were closed because they could not afford the upkeep. We stayed in the Marina building and we could see the resorts potential and we knew once Royal Resorts could do what they were saying, it would be fantastic. At the the time we realized we wanted to come at times other than the lowest of the low season, and when we sat through the pitch, it was just too much money for a "younger couple" to absorb. And it was to inflexible. We both work, and could not to commit to a set week. We didn't care about interval or any of that stuff....we just wanted to come back.

Fast forward several years. B building is still closed (renovations....finally) We stayed in the renovated C building and just loved it. At that point we joined joined the point system. We still did not get gobs of points for our units but the ability to accrue for two years, allowed us to return two years later, at the tail end of a mid season, for two weeks in a two bedroom in the Villas. We loved it again.

That was our last visit and at that time they tried to sell us more weeks and points... We didn't mind the pitch because they are polite and nice...and you can walk away at any time. We weren't budging until Rick the sales manager (who we had worked with before) came up with a good solution. They would buy back our B building weeks, and we can use that to buy the C building Penthouse high season for one week. That way we get Max points and only pay one week maintenance. We made them work for it too. We borrowed their calculators sharpened our pencils and did our own calculations...lots of back and forth to make it work. Yes they got some coin from us... however it paid for itself in 8 - years with lower maintenance costs. Kind of a win win. (Poor junior sales rep had a hard time keeping up, and but we enjoyed working with him and especially Rick. He has been there ever since our first visit and he came up with a creative solution to meet our needs.)

OK all that said. I was on the phone with Rose last week and the new contracts are on their way. We get 135,000 points per year that easily convert to two weeks in Low and mid season or jsut a week during high. They accrue and it just works for us.

We just adopted a baby girl so SXM is not in the cards this year (most likely) yet with points we will be sitting pretty for next year.

Last edited by wabid; 05/07/2018 11:06 AM.

Never walk onto a job site with empty hands. - Source Unknown