Wow what a crappy experience! We have chartered with Horizon three times and have recommended them highly. That is not to say we haven't had a few issues, but ... cruising is fixing your boat in exotic locales, right? Chartering shouldn't be that way, but your experience is worse than anything we have experienced. What boat did you charter?

Our first charter (Bavaria 39 Sawsea Lady) went off without a hitch. Everything worked and there was no AC or generator to break down laugh

On our 2nd charter (Bavaria 46 Greenwave) we had arrived at The Bight on Day1 and the transom platform was locked in the up position. I called the Duty Manager and he came over and fixed it within an hour - faulty switch. We also had an issue with the AC - we were told it would only work in two zones at a time, but in reality it only worked well in one zone at a time. We simply cranked it in the main salon and left the fore and aft cabin doors open and we all slept comfortably.

On our 3rd charter (Nautitech 40 Double Expresso) we had an AC and genset failure due to a corroded raw water nib on a manifold that came apart. We were in CGB and a tech came out within an hour of my call to the Duty Manager. It took all day to repair due to some parts issues (getting a new pump), but was done by 4PM. An extra day/night in CGB was not the worst thing that could've happened to us, but had we been on a schedule we would've been pretty peeved.

We have had good boat briefings with Jalon twice, and our first chart briefing was very detailed. When I asked about a chart briefing on 2nd charter the response was "You've chartered here before, haven't you?". Third charter was post-Irma and I had a bunch of questions re:anchorages and mooring fields and got good info.

My good experiences do not trump your bad experience, but I wanted to share my opinion on HYC. They've never lost our charter/crew info and my dealings with Christalen and Courtney in the office have always been efficient and helpful.

PS Just looked back at your posts and saw you were on Double Expresso as well - 6 weeks after we were. We were told in our boat brief that the helm windlass control was deactivated after someone paid out the entire chain from the helm station. We were also told the underwater lights were deactivated, fwiw. Sorry you had a shitty week.

Last edited by thepiratedoc; 08/12/2018 08:42 AM. Reason: additional comment