after over 40 years of living in STT and sailing hundreds of days a year I spent Xmas week 2018 sailing in the SVI for the 1st time.
I was impressed with the peaceful and beautiful anchorages and enjoyed it immensely. A family trip on a catamaran from Sail Caribe
in Puerto Del Rey - so I can't comment on the C&I regulations.
We provisioned in Fajardo at [Ralphs?] a good size well stocked supermarket and also brought some dinner and lunch items frozen in a cooler. Only had one meal ashore - in Vieques, Esperanza - at El Quenepo - very good.
There are quite a few mooring balls available throughout the more popular spots but I tend to anchor in most circumstances. We did use a paid mooring in Esperanza which served us well in very unsettled weather. Many of the local power vessels use the moorings stern to - the practice seems to often cause prop damage to the mooring lines so check them carefully if you pick one up.
The whole trip was wonderful in a way the BVI used to be, uncrowded and good sailing.
There are so many unspoiled bays and except for some of the more popular weekend power boat destinations it is truly a Virgin paradise.
I will be spending time there more often now having seen the beauty.