Maybe because I am old now. But when I go on vacation now I want everything and everybody bending over backwards to make my hard earned vacation dollars spent the best vacation for me. I don't to be worried about local politics etc. I just want the best vacation experience. SXM has been going "downhill" as a vacation destination ( in my opinion" for years. I too used to go to the French side late at night to do things like people watch. Every year I hear more of don't go there and don't go there on the island. I don't want to worry about a crazy biker getting run over by the car in front of mine and this episode on the minds of me and my spouse for the rest of my vacation trip.

As for cruise passengers spending less. uh. the cruise lines do a high pressure upsale for their drink package. You can drink all day starting in the morning. Why would I want to get off the ship and pay $.50 for a beer or $8.00 for a pina coloda. As for food $20.00 for a hamburger for that matter.

And for cruises, passengers get shot in the head all the time. It can happen on any cruise. Ain't that right?

Wendell