Here is a short story about my first trip to SXM....

We arrived at night. This was about 1993.... a lot less development around. Very dark. Anyway, so we sign the rental car papers (at the airport), and the guy who we were dealing with walks with us out to the "shuttle van." We load our luggage and climb in the back. Driver sits down, and reaches down to the floor with his right hand and grabs his can of Heineken and takes a nice, long drink. Nice. (I shoulda asked if he had one for me....)

So we get the car (white 4-door compact). Load luggage, and start driving. I had NO IDEA where I was going. And it was then that I noticed that the fuel gauge was BELOW empty. I was running on fumes in a foreign country, completely lost, completely dark outside.

Here's why I mention it. We found the resort long before we ran out of gas. Although I haven't been there in 15+ years, I remember that it's really difficult to get lost on that island. Either way you go, you can loop around... you'll get there.

One more thought... driving around and getting "lost." While doing this, we were able to see different restaurants, shops, resorts, beaches, etc. Nice way to learn the island.