Lars,

We started visiting at least annually in 1973 and no, there was no language barrier and like so many Americans we are only fluent in English. We did once contemplate retirement to our favorite place on earth but a very wise friend who already owned on the island suggested we think long and hard about all the pros and cons of such a move. He also suggested we should invest no more on an island purchase than we could afford to toss out a car window, and in reality, he suggested the latter would probably be more fun because we might at least see some needy island residents find and benefit from it.

Living in such a wonderful place is like a dream and dreams are good to have, I have to say, though, I’m truly glad we never acted on that dream. No matter where I live, ‘home’ will always be where my family is and we are a close knit family. We considered logistics, costs, medical needs, the political nonsense that has always gone on on both sides of the island, and ultimately decided home will always be somewhere Stateside and SXM, either side, will remain a wonderful place to visit.

And why not the USVI’s or PR? For us they just don’t offer the same vibes.

My best suggestion to you is think long and hard and possibly live there for a year, experience the different layers of bureaucracy and deal with the down-sides of island living before you take the leap. If it proves to be a good year, then go for it, but if not, at least you will have had the full island living experience. We realized, as good as they are, it isn’t all about pina coladas and beautiful beaches.

And the other side of that coin is I know many who have moved there and are totally happy and many who lived there, some for as many as twenty years plus, and ultimately decided home really is where the heart is and returned to the places they came from. Everyone has a different life experience along with goals and dreams so who knows - it might turn out to be your special utopia.

Good luck, whatever your choices.

Last edited by pat; 09/20/2019 07:07 PM.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."