Hang on to your checkbook--I looked into this a couple of years ago and am sure things can change but here are a few thoughts that stopped me. First you DO NOT get a title/deed to the property like in the US.(i.e--no loans available form a bank--ALL CASH transactions) The reason was that the Beauperthy family kids (original owners of the property) were challenging the ownership of the whole place in French courts. Then you had property taxes from the tax office in Marigot. (never did figure out exactly how these were calculated.) Then you have CoPro Assessments (what we would call Condo Fees) based on the annual budget. Then you have Extraordinary Co Pro year end fees (what we call assessments if the budget was not made) As the time we looked you had to put your unit into the rental pool for FIVE YEARS where the rent went to the ASSOCIATION not the OWNER. Then there was a daily "facility charge" when an owner visits to cover overhead services--employees. Then there were restrictions/approvals required if you ever wanted to sell. In the end we wanted our time there to be totally relaxing (why we go there) and felt we were potentially buying something where renting would be more enjoyable than owning.