What we witness when we are down in June is bad enough, but some of the decision-making by captains in this weather is crazy. I was just watching the Myette's webcam and someone was trying to tie a dinghy to the dock in crashing waves. We are not owners, but we know a few and read the thoughts of others on this forum. So here is a thought...

We have been using Moorings, so this may exist in other charter companies and we are not aware of it. However, it seems that they should have an online learning center to teach some of the basics of being a responsible captain (e.g. how to use the dinghy, how to use the anchor, what to do and not do in certain weather conditions, how to use the panel, how to use the bathrooms, what to do in an emergency, how to moor,... and the list goes on). I recognize that the boats are different, but some things can be taught for all boats. The charter companies could collaborate to produce and use these videos - or a company as large as Moorings/Sunsail could do it themselves. Last, they could require that first timers or others who would benefit watch the series.

Beyond the increased safety and enjoyment from those chartering, I feel that this would be a significant benefit to the owners who have invested a lot and have their boats chartered by those who don't have the knowledge to care for them. I get that some don't care about the boat they are on, but some do and simply don't know what they are doing. There is so much to learn and people book their trips months in advance. It would be nice for them to learn in the months that lead up to the trip. My guess is that many people would see this as a benefit to chartering with a certain company - and they may enjoy the prep as they anticipate their trip.