Trip Report 12/28/2019-01/17/2020
The last couple years we have stayed overnight at the Airport Marriot in Phila. and walked directly through airport security for an early direct flight to SXM. Plane was almost full (AA) and we arrived a half hour early around 2PM. One of the few times we were the only commercial plane arriving. 15 minutes to go through Customs and Immigration then got rental car from Unity (Dutch side).

Stopped at Carrefour for basics and checked into the Belair Beach Hotel, Room 415.
Beach has had some more erosion but was adequate for 1 row of chairs most of the time we were there.

Weather:
More rain and wind this year than any year that we could remember. Some days that meant stones made entering the water difficult. A good reason to have water shoes handy. Only 1 day that I can recall was overcast all day.

Restaurants:
Mark’s Place is always one of our favorites. Had a pretty tough steak on one visit but the ribs are still terrific. In my opinion there is more than enough to eat with a normal order but for those that are big rib fans, the all you can eat $24 is certainly worth it.
Bavaria has become a regular on our list. Authentic German food and excellent service. We usually go early so seating and parking are less of a problem as may occur later in the evening.
Chesterfield’s, an annual choice, was great on one visit with a thumbs up on the lobster one night but 2 orders of lobster the other night were overdone and tough. Hurricane Shrimp still produces a pleasant sting on the palate.
Avantika is popular for itsThai menu that allows you to order your entrée as spicy hot or mild as you like. No complaints here but I always keep the Rolaids handy.
Bistro Carribe was a must for my son and daughter as in past years. They took a cab which is a wise choice with the current uncertainty on the French side. They spent the afternoon at the perfumery creating customized scents and ended the day @ BC.
Skip Jack’s was a first for me but wife and her sister ate there earlier last year and wife insisted that we put them on the list. Lobster nothing less than excellent as was the service and the rest of the food. I have to say the lobster was better than Pineapple Pete’s and Chesterfield’s.
Holland House: We enjoyed a terrific breakfast here. Both service and food was very good

Orient Beach:
Roads to Orient are impossible. Huge potholes and speed bumps that rattle your tooth fillings. Pretty busy the day I was there. Still depressing to see the remains of a once great resort. As others have stated, we all hope that it can someday come back.

Airport:
It’s not yet where we would like to see it but it is better than last year when there were not enough seats for the hoards of travelers and both upstairs and downstairs were chaotic. Now there is adequate seating and although the bussing was like cans of sardines, most of the exiting was OK.

AA flight home:
Probably no more than 125 people on the large plane. One of the most enjoyable flights that I can remember in many years. Empty rows that allowed everyone to spread out and have enough room. One of the flight attendants told me they love it when everyone is in a good mood as opposed to the anger management created by filling every seat. Again we got in early and Customs and Immigration were a snap.

General Comments:
• We chose to sell our timeshare weeks and did so while we were on the island. We have owned at the Belair for almost 30 years and stayed there for 5-6 years before we bought timeshares. We made this decision when the owners decided to make the improvements that their guests and TS owners have requested for decades (air conditioning, plumbing, electrical). Unfortunately the owners chose to increase our maintenance fee by $380 per week to pay for these improvements. We will likely return to SXM but as rental guests.
• Checked out both Beachside Villas and Horny Toad as possible future destinations. Access to BV, through Sunset Beach Bar was a negative but both BV and Toad are genuine possibilities warm, friendly hosts.
• Philipsburg shopping is a bit stressful with the hucksters trying to hustle you but we went on a day when no cruise ships were in so that was at least minimized.
• This started as a “Brief Trip Report” but I erased the “Brief” part.