Link with Dr. Soc

This talk with the SXM tourism minister and Dr. Soc is fairly lengthy, but is very worthwhile for anyone planning on travelling to SXM any time soon.

These are some notes that I took while listening to the talk. This is what I got out of it.

If I misunderstood anything, please feel free to correct me.

* All persons entering SXM from North America or Europe are REQUIRED to have a PCR test prior to entry to SXM

* The ONLY test that is acceptable is a PCR test (although apparently there is more than one kind of a PCR test) Some research is required there.

* The RESULT has to be obtained within no MORE than 72 hours of when you arrive. SO, if you are told it will take 7 days to get a result, you need to get the test done around 9 days before or so, so the test RESULT is not too old. The test does NOT have to be taken AND the result both obtained within 72 hours prior to arrival.

* It is possible there will be a website to upload results to, but YOU are responsible for ensuring that you have proof of your test with you upon arrival.

* It is my understanding that many test results are available via text message, which presumably would be very easy to fake. SXM officials are looking at options for how to be able to verify the test results are real.

* There will be at the least, temperature checks upon arrival in SXM.

* If somehow you show up without a test, you will be tested on island and quarantine will be MANDATORY, at YOUR expense, until the results come back (at least). I got the impression that the airlines are not taking any responsibility for making sure that you have the needed test.

* Apparently there is no current insurance that will cover Covid 19 evacuation currently. THIS PART I am kind of fuzzy on. The Tourism Minister is in the process of trying to arrange some insurance which would cover cost for quarantine, medical expenses on island and medical evac, but this is not yet in place. (Aruba does have such insurance in place, from what I understand, and to ME, I think it is expensive. The cost I heard for Aruba was $15 per person PER DAY, so a week insurance for two people would be $210, which is no small sum, to my mind. Dr. Soc said he thought that price was reasonable. I would disagree.)

* SXM is in the process of hoping to eventually be able to do testing on island for all who show up. Frankly, to me, testing before makes more sense.

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 06/23/2020 01:15 PM.

Carol Hill