(thought I would post in both forums, if ok)

Like several who have recently reported, we had a terrific experience with a USVI only charter 2 weeks ago. I would encourage other BVI lovers who have not chartered there to give it a try. This was a make-up trip from July where we encountered the only real storm of the season (Isiais). We never left the marina and made for a short 2 day trip. This time it was just Jessica and me and left the kids at home to fend for themselves. Here are the highlights:

Chartered a well-equipped FP Lucia 40 with Virgin Island Yacht Charters (Compass Point Marina). Had a great experience with VIYC and the boat was ideal for the 2 of us (owner’s version). It did have an icemaker which is very helpful for sailing around St. John.

We rented a car and did most of our provisioning at Cost U Less (Like a CostCo). Really good pricing and selection – particularly booze. Grabbed some other items at Moes at Redhook. We had great delicious sushi at Raw in Redhook the first evening. Paradise Car Rental picked the car up from the marina the next day.
Enjoyed staying on mooring balls at Maho, Honeymoon/Caneel, Lamshur, and Salt Pond – basically had a lazy week around St. John. Only boat at Great (or Littlle) Lamshur for the evening. Only one other at Salt Pond.

Snorkeling highlights were Waterlemon (Leinster), Lamshur and Salt Pond. Coral and sea life were abundant.
Hiked Ram Head (and Salt Pond to Drunk Bay), Maho to Annenberg, but otherwise fairly lazy with plenty of swimming and paddle boarding.
While we had a great time just the 2 of us, we also had plenty of “beach bar” time at Maho Crossroads, Bikinis on the Beach (Honeymoon), Cruz Bay (High Tide and Beach Bar), and Lime Out (floating taco bar in Coral Bay).

Since we really stayed around St. John, there were plenty of things we missed (Christmas Cove – Pizza Pi was not open yet, and Water Island will definitely be on our next trip).
Sails were somewhat short and many without a purpose (i.e. head out and back just to get out on the water). But we thoroughly enjoyed them. Winds were down during the beginning of the week and picked up towards the end.

General takeaway was that it offered an excellent change of venue (from the BVI) and there was plenty to keep us busy (or countless beautiful spots to do nothing). We just cancelled our February BVI trip with the kids and moved it to USVI - they are excited for the change. Also, we are headed to the SVI over Thanksgiving for the first time, and will report on that.