Not much to report, because we didn't do much other than hang out on Orient Beach for 10 days.

Big props to Cedrick, who really has things running smoothly at Club O beach. The food at Perch Lite is great, staff is friendly, and the happy hour drinks are as good as ever. If you don't look backwards or down towards Papagayo, its almost like nothing has changed since pre-Irma. Huge thanks also to the Club O owners who have helped Cedrick keep things going. The new chairs and umbrellas really look good. They have to lock up all of the chairs every night, unfortunately. I guess they were starting to walk away at night.

The French authorities have put a rope barrier across the back of the beach. It runs right between Perch Lite and their picnic tables and all the way down the beach. We asked the waitress about it, and she just rolled her eyes. Not sure if it means anything though. Just marking their territory I suppose.

I think it has been posted here that they were forced to remove the swim platform, and that is the case. It's now sitting next to the shipping containers. Maybe one day it will go back in the water, but I doubt it. The water trampolines have also been removed from further down the beach, and the Pedro's rocks are all gone.

The other Orient Beach bars had a few customers, but really seem to be hurting without cruise ship passengers. Club O beach was by far the most crowded part of the beach.

Other than in front of Papagayo, there seems to be a lot of sand at Club O Beach. There isn't a steep cliff drop-off to the water like there used to be, and it seems like the water is shallower out to a much greater distance than it used to be. In most cases, I could walk out 50-100 yards and still be able to stand. Saw lots of fish, rays, a barracuda, and a sea turtle. Always good to see marine life in the bay.

As for other stuff, we ate in a lot, but did make it to 3 Amigos, Isola, Talk of the Town and the Pizza restaurant at Princess. Tried to go to Sale & Pepe one night, but it was closed. We hit our favorite Dutch side hang outs, Hole in the Wall in Maho and Red Piano for Church on Monday.

We checked in at Majesty Jewelers on Front Street and helped the economy a bit. Always good to see those folks. Front Street is in really bad shape though - lots of empty storefronts, lots of closed businesses. The stores that are open are dying for customers; the cruise ship industry can't get back soon enough for them. Apparently, cruises will start running out of Philipsburg as their home port in June, so maybe help is on the way. Our flight down was filled with cruise ship crew members coming in to get the ships ready to sail.

While in Philipsburg, we walked over to the marina and spotted the America's Cup 12 meter yachts in drydock. It looks like they really took a beating from Irma. One of the Stars & Stripes boats appears to be damaged pretty badly, possibly beyond repair. Hopefully they can be repaired and restored to operation, as they are beautiful boats with a lot of history. I did the 12 meter challenge a couple of times years ago, and miss seeing those boats in the water. It was kind of cool being able to see the keels up close, though.

We got our departure COVID tests at Bellevue Pharmacy in Marigot (just down from the traffic circle as you are heading out of Marigot towards the Dutch side). No appointment necessary.
The process was a little chaotic and it took longer than expected, but we got our official COVID-free certifications and were on our way back home.

It was good to get back to the island after a long 16 months away. We hope to be back soon ...