I'm probably in the vast MINORITY here but personally speaking, I think it's a good idea and I'm only surprised it's taken this long for them to think of it.

About a year ago we were on a JB flight from JFK heading to SXM where the bulkhead row passengers three or four rows ahead of us were imbibing freely and had been prior to departure at one of the T5 lounges. They were drunk out of their ever loving minds. Had this scenario taken place at a local CT bar, the establishment would have been fined for over-serving this group. They were particularly loud and totally obnoxious but apparently they were either friends or at least well known to the flight crew and nothing was done to curtail their drinking in flight.

When we arrived at SXM they made it off the plane and through the usual airport obligations, though given their condition I don't know how, but by the time they reached the baggage claim area they were literally falling down drunk. The husband fell near the carousel and the wife, in trying to help him up, fell as well. Another passenger on the flight came up to us and passed comment about the condition of these passengers and how very unpleasant it was to sit directly across the aisle from them. I can only imagine since we found them obnoxious but we were far enough away we could immerse ourselves in our books and for the most part we were able to ignore them. My thought at the time was thank heavens they were sort of funny drunks and not mean ones.

It's a sad commentary but once again, as is so often the case, the few tend to ruin things for the many. It's a given this type of traveler is not the norm and it's too bad we all have to miss that which we've come to enjoy, and while I will miss the occasional glass of wine on the flight home, not so much that I can't appreciate how much safer in general this stance will make air travel, at least at this time.

Just my personal opinion here.........

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."