First of all George, let me remind you that this ain’t Kansas! Lol…

But I do disagree with you…Crime is very high in most large cities. In many US cities gun violence is out of control. Even in smaller communities like ours we see continued gun violence, and the majority of these shootings are not even reported in our news outlets, just an occasional summary…

The current situation that is happening in Tulum - and nowhere else here at the moment - involve cases where a gunman walks up to someone - usually a visitor who has $$, a nice watch, whatever - and does the deed and flees. Robbery pure and simple.

Maybe I can clarify my statement -
>> The randomness of these murders and the fact that tourists are being targeted is scary, and is more like you’d see in any large US city and not the act of a cartel punishing a business owner for not paying…

And not talking about restaurants and bars, but a hoodlum walking up to you in the street or an open-air cafe in broad daylight and demanding $$ or your watch at gunpoint. One tourist refused and his watch was taken off his dead arm. That is not the cartel harassing or punishing a business for not paying.

”Indiscriminate” is more descriptive perhaps. Unnecessary, indiscriminate, random - take your pick, but these are much more scary to us and other residents and visitors because these smaller groups care nothing about the tourism $$ or tourists. They are a different breed.

"Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you.”
-Anthony Bourdain