We were on the island the last three week through the latest round of protests. Yes, we stay on the French side and would not even entertain staying on the Dutch side. I avoid the Dutch side at all costs - tell my wife that going over there sets me back on the relaxation factor. Now, having said all of that, the recent protests were not a problem for us at all, we traveled back and forth between Orient and Marigot all the time. For what it's worth, the Gerdarmes kept the route through Marigot to the Dutch side open the whole time. It was the main road through Sandy Ground and d'Orleans that were blocked. We saw them try to block the backroads through Orleans to Oyster and even try to setup a roadblock on the hill above Orient, but the the Gerndarmes were not having that - watched them tear those down about as fast as they put them up. The day before St Martin Day, they came through and cleare it all out, and that was it - over. Now, I do feel bad for those that rely on tourists - especially from the ships, because they got hurt in all of this. We have a friend who owns one of the large restaraunts on Orient, and she told us that she had been slow. ...but all said and done it is the French side that draws us to the island.