Hi Wes... When my boat was at TMM, many years ago, I went down to Grenada a few times. Usually island hopping but a straight run to Grenada is very easy to do. If Island hopping I used to offer cabins for the trip here on TravelTalk. Always got people and made many great friends. I'll bet if you do you same you'll get plenty of interest, probably from some of the same people!

You'll need to be lucky with the trades if you want to island hop the first bit without taking a bit of a beating. The best course I made during the summer without motor sailing was towards St Kitts. My suggestion if you want to take in all the islands is to get the main up, stick the motors on and head to St Martin. You might be able sail part of the way but more likely you'll need the motors most of the way.

Once you've made St Martin, life gets much easier. St Barts is good fun at that time of year because the big boats have gone to the Med and you can just park up on the dock, right in the centre of town. I wouldn't bother with Antigua on the way down. Tough to get there, much easier on the way back. St Kitts is a good visit. Real Caribbean and some old forts and plantations to see. Save Nevis for the way back.

You HAVE to go to Montserrat. Very little in the way of facilities last time I was there but there was a new commercial dock being constructed which may be there now.

Next up is Guadeloupe which has two must visit places. Deshaies on the north west coast (home to the BBC TV series Death in Paradise). Very pleasant little village with great shelter. Then down to Isles des Saintes. My favourite place. A bit of the South of France but in the Caribbean.

Dominica is an experience. Very poor compared to most of the windwards/leewards but beautiful interior.

Martinique is like Guadeloupe but without anywhere particularly memorable. St Lucia not one of my favourites but good facilities in Rodney Bay if you need to refuel or source any spare parts.

Skip St Vincent and head straight to Bequia to clear into SVG. The Grenadines are worth spending some time, particularly Mayreau.

Then down to Grenada. Clear in and spend a day or two in St George's then head for the south coast which is where all the cruisers hang out for the summer (and longer, sometimes they never leave). Lots of protected anchorages and small, basic, marinas. A couple of ones with more facilities. Le Phare Bleu was one of my favourites. This is a great area to just sit on your boat, at anchor, and decide whether the cruising life is for you. Very friendly community of sailors and also locals. You can get ANYTHING done to the boat and at far cheaper prices than the BVI.

If you have the time to spend the summer on the boat in Grenada I highly recommend it. No more worrying about the next red blob coming of the African coast. If by any chance something comes the way of Grenada, just pull up the anchor and head out a little further south with the rest of the cruisers to Tobago.