Very sad to see the deplorable conditions these creatures are raised in. As several posters have stated, pigs must have sufficient water - an ample supply at all times - to survive. However, i have to make a couple of comments.

Most of us would never eat chicken or pork or beef again in our own countries if we saw some of the treatment these creatures receive on supposedly legitimate farms.

Also I think the fact that reputable restaurants are required to use properly inspected meat but the locals are probably forced to buy this type of product just underscores the difference between those of us who enjoy SXM on our vacations and the people who live on the island permanently. The "haves" and the "have nots" in many cases. SXM is a beautiful island if you are there for a vacation, probably not so beautiful when you live there in a low-paying job.

And your concern is whether or not you'll eat ribs there again.

Too, this situation is not limited to SXM. I have seen some deplorable food handling on a number of other islands, food meant for the locals. Great places for a vacation, not so great to live in.