Even though I have recovered from Covid, my attitude toward being on island seems to have changed. I’m not sure if it’s just that my energy level isn’t what it was pre-Covid or what’s different. At any rate, I haven’t done much.

EXCURSIONS

No1SXM – This is always a favorite sail. I had had to reschedule from the prior week due to Covid so was super grateful to be able to go. It was a wonderful day of sailing with gorgeous weather. A single stop for swimming and snorkeling was at Friar’s Bay with the rest of the time enjoying pure sailing. Bliss.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BEACHES

Coco Beach – Once I could get out again, my first beach day was at Coco Beach on Orient. This is really a high-quality beach bar with excellent food. It’s too bad the water is a little rough at that end of the beach and not really conducive to getting into; there was also a good bit of sargassum. I had a three-course prix fixe meal for 39 Euro that may be my best meal so far. Appetizer was marinated prawns with red snapper entrée and a chocolate cake dessert. Chair/umbrella rental includes a towel and bottle of water.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Anse Marcel – I love the beach here as the water is usually so calm; it was divine the day I was there. Lunch was a shrimp noodle salad that was good but not great.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

FOOD

While I was still having to mask, I did some takeout for dinners.

The Palms – I ordered the ribs, the first time since their new pricing, which is based on weight. They have two prices: $35 and $65. I ordered the $35 version and was stunned when I returned to the room to find that got me five ribs. That said, they were very meaty and flavorful, and five ribs provided two dinners.

Little Jerusalem – Having never ordered from them before, I wasn’t sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. The shawarma plate included delicious potatoes and a salad and was good for two meals. The second time I ordered from them, the shawarma was a little dry, but the potatoes were still good.

Bar Code – Ribs were on the menu, and I hadn’t had them before. I might have thought they were good if I hadn’t recently had the ribs from The Palms. They just didn’t compare favorably, and I was disappointed. Not nearly as meaty or flavorful as ribs from The Palms.

[Linked Image]

Balls and Wine – There are several new items on their menu since my last visit in November. One appetizer I especially enjoyed was Kanin Crunch, panko-breaded crab sticks with a spicy sauce. Yummy. I had the (meat)balls for the first time - a generous serving of six balls with four sauces. It was okay but I wasn’t overwhelmed. Service charge added.

[Linked Image]

Cambuci – This is a relatively new restaurant in Porto Cupecoy I hadn’t been to before, and it was an excellent experience from start to finish. I was greeted very pleasantly even though I didn’t have a reservation (which was not needed). Service was attentive and knowledgeable. My appetizer was grilled shrimp on toast points; excellent! Entrée was Duck Escondidinho; very good. Service charge was added to the bill.

[Linked Image]

Astra – I was intending to have breakfast at Reveil Matin one day, but parking was a bit of a problem so I headed to Astra. Service was quite welcoming and friendly. The eggs benedict were okay, and the view was really pleasant. Service charge added.

[Linked Image]

Cool Heure – This is a kind of a hole-in-the-wall place at the entrance to Happy Bay that I’ve heard great things about. I met some local friends for lunch and agree with what I’ve heard. The only negative is that there’s no menu in English and the server was difficult to understand so I wasn’t totally certain what I was ordering until it was served. It turned out to be a seafood cassoulet of white fish and prawns with bechamel sauce and was excellent. I will return.

MISCELLANEOUS

The night before the Strawberry Moon.

[Linked Image]

Random from Horny Toad.

[Linked Image]

Saba making a rare appearance.

[Linked Image]

I am having problems with my laptop and am unable to transfer any more photos from my phone to laptop. Thus there won’t be any more reports until I can get home and transfer photos to my desktop.

[Linked Image]