Yes, I'm curious, too. We are staying on Simpson Bay Road, and left for dinner in Porto Cupecoy around 6:30 pm last night. The traffic eastbound was backed up almost to the Hertz office by that time and was starting to back up over the causeway as well, as people tried to bypass the problem in Simpson Bay.

We were also backed up for an hour on our way to Grand Case on Friday around mid-day. Traffic ground to a halt just after the first roundabout on rue de Hollande in Marigot and it just crawled (mostly stopped dead) until we were able to get off at rue du Concorde. From there we were able to bypass it and get to the north roundabout at rue de Spring, where traffic was finally flowing. I have no idea what caused it, but never saw any evidence of police involvement the entire time, nor any attempt to divert traffic to an alternative route.

This is my first visit back in three years. Traffic seems to be becoming a more regular issue on the island. I see very little effort by the police on either the Dutch or French side to help or get involved, unless cruise ship visitors are affected. I don't come to the island to sit in traffic gridlock. I can do that at home. If they want to keep building their visitor numbers, they need to start getting serious about some of their infrastructure issues, including active traffic management.