Boarded a redeye out of Portland last night around 10 p.m. and arrived just before 6:00 a.m. in Charlotte. I had nearly a four-hour layover which I spent in the Admirals Club. There was plenty of time to change into lighter-weight clothing. I was disappointed that no hot food was available; a sign said due to renovations.

Arrival in SXM was a couple of minutes before 3:00 p.m. We had stairs, not a ramp. I had ordered wheelchair service, which was waiting at the bottom of the stairs. When he saw I was struggling with my roller in addition to my "personal item," he bounded up the stairs to get my suitcase and carry it down for me. He dropped me off at the bus as we were quite a way away from the terminal, and it took a good 20 minutes for the bus to fill up. While riding the bus, I saw AT LEAST another American flight in addition to Jet Blue and West Jet disembarking. Wheelchair assistance met the bus to take me to immigration. I was floored when I saw the length of the line waiting outside to get into the hall. No way could I have stood however long it took waiting in the heat. As it was, I was taken direct to immigration and then to the baggage claim area. OMG! It was packed! Ran in to some friends who said we also were preceded by Air France and Delta flights.

The fellow pushing my wheelchair knew it would be awhile before my flight's bags came out so he left me with my chair, saying he would return when my bags were available. The hall was a zoo. There was A/C, but with so many people, it was pretty ineffective. The fellow returned in about half an hour, got my bags, and wheeled me outside. Apparently one Hertz van had already left as it was full. He left me with my bags and said he would return when another Hertz van came around. He didn't return so I made my way to the van on my own. It was another full load.

For at least the last three times I've rented from Hertz, they will not confirm an economy car saying they don't have any in their fleet, even though they are shown on their website. However, when I get to the counter and ask if an economy is available, it has been. I have a VERY bright yellow little car with a French plate. Even though Hertz is less expensive because they include liability in their rate, the hassle of getting to their office when there are lots of people is getting old.

The Horny Toad is beautiful as always, and I had a quick, early dinner at The Palms with friends. Off to bed as I didn't sleep on the plane last night.

[Linked Image]