Cipher,

Crap shoot? Most likely referring to the airport arrival and departure issues which seem to have improved over where they were a month or so ago, or so I’ve been hearing.

I am not familiar with climbing shoes as such but I don’t think they’re going to be needed for SXM climbing and hiking. If you really want to do some serious hiking, book a daytrip over to Saba if the seas are calm. The hiking there is phenomenal and very picturesque.

No worries about ‘decent’ food as there’s a reason SXM is known as the gourmet capital of the Caribbean from snacky beach fare to very high end gourmet if that’s your pleasure.

Electricity issues can happen anywhere anytime. Water issues (or lack thereof) are more typical on the partie Francaise. Bottled drinking water is not necessary on the Dutch side where the water is desalinated and very drinkable. On the French side it pretty much depends on where you’re staying.

Pic Paradis is anyone’s guess. Many years ago it was perfectly safe and we often went with our young ( at the time ) kids and then it changed somewhat. Lots of car break-ins while visitors enjoyed the views and I do recall reading about armed robberies. But in all fairness to Paradis Pic I haven’t read of any issues for quite a while. My understanding is you can arrange for group hikes to the top possibly through Loterie Farms? but I have only ever driven up myself. And the views from the top are spectacular.

Cliff jumping and such are way beyond me but I’ve never heard anyone speak of doing it. There is a deep pool amid the rocks at the far side of Mullet Bay Beach that might work for you.

Beach time? Ah, beach time!!! Beautiful beaches with beautiful views and warm caressing waters. You won’t be disappointed, for sure.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."