We spent a month there in Nov/Dec and saw all sorts of tipping adds to checks and also spent some time on the French side and saw multiple ways people tip there. I will however start this which I think is a good thing, again my not so humble opinion.

On the new K like Karakter menu which I saw a picture of if you read down at the bottom of the menu it clearly states:

"ALL PRICES ARE SERVICE CHARGE INCLUDED
TIPS AT YOUR CONVENIENCE"

This was on a photo that I came across on FB and copied but when I went back I did not find the post so was not able to ask permission to use. After seeing a photo of ours being entered into a photo contest by somebody else I just didn't feel right posting with out permission. I do look forward to trying K in March when we are back and look forward to more reviews. It needed an update, I hope it is as good as I have heard so far.

I guess the place is French owned now vs Dutch owned, word of mouth so not sure that is fact but the policy seems, well, not American and I am A OK with that. Do Dutch people tip when in The Netherlands? I would think it would be similar to what we do on the French side, but it bows to the influence of the US including a monetary system exchange rate matched to the US Dollar. The problem with the American style of tipping when in an international location which includes cities like Miami is that some tip and some don't, or tip minimally like their culture does. If you are going to base a business on the American model but then don't have consistency in what people pay then you get the people tipping subsidizing the people that don't. I personally don't like subsidizing others, so I am fine with restaurants adding 15%. I do my best to make it a habit to look at the check, and add to it. I would also ask that you think about when was the last time that you didn't tip at least 15% at a place that normally would warrant tips? I would guess if you didn't tip you probably never went back there again either, and for me I can state that I don't think even once in my last 200 plus restaurant visits I didn't tip at least 15%. I am guessing I am not alone in those percentages, so why be concerned that the place adds 15%?

It took me a while to get comfortable on the French side not tipping my usual US style 20ish percent. I learned that French custom has wait staff paid a living wage so in some cases it is just extra coins or in the 5% range. On this last trip I paid attention to what the other French side regulars that I respect were adding and it was sometimes in the 5% range but often the 10% range. So I lost my comfort zone, but I can live with it and will be in that 5 to 10% range on future trips.

I also note that after 20 years of trips to SXM I am still learning and adjusting, it is still the place that taught me to relax and slow down.

Have a great 2024!
TB

I prefer the Isle seat