Just joined the TTOL to post our experience.

Flew in to SXM from JFK on Thurs 2/29 with checked bag, planning for the worst, hoping for the best. TRANSFERRED to Anguilla Air Services for two nights on that island--had never been. Walked past a huge line of people to the "transfer line" (no line). Were guided by AAS to gait C4 to wait for our little plane to Anguilla. AAS physically took care of our checked bag, we had a drink at the airport, and about an hour later we were in the air to Anguilla. Did immigration in Anguilla. We were first in line, there.

On the way back to SXM: arrived on Saturday afternoon 3/2 during the height of the crunch. Anguilla Air Services walked us directly to immigration, passing a truly humongous line of sweaty people. Got lots of looks. Did immigration in about 20 minutes. Grabbed our checked bag--not on carousel, but was rolled against the wall. Time from parking the rental car in Anguilla to our balcony was 2 hours total (2-4pm on Saturday!)--includes waiting for the plane, the flight, immigration, rental car check, and the drive.

Depending on the airport situation, we might do this again next year. I'm no travel genius--but I thought I'd share our experience. It was really pleasant.