I know there has been a previous thread for vacation music playlists but thought I would start another. Hoping to get some great picks to add to my playlist and in turn yours. Just posting a few, please chime, in with your faves.
In no particular order and I left lots out, but here we go.

“Watermelon Man” – love the story with Herbie Hancock telling Elvis Costello the genesis of the song. However must say I like the Mongo Santamaria version better.

Check out other Mongo songs – Afo Blue, Sofrito et al. He even has a Geen Onions version.

“Sunday Shining” – Finley Quaye – a Scottish reggae singer – a somewhat troubled life, but I like the song and his sound

Blondie – “The Tide is high”. It’s a cover of a song – same name by the Paragons- check out the original for fun.

Note I like cover remakes – Amy’s Valerie is a cover of the Zutons original – kinda of like the Zutons version

Anything Jimmy Cliff – best for me is “You can get it if you really want” - but you must try, try and try, try and try! Love the horn section.

Toots and the Maytalls – for me this is reggae. Fave is “54-46 That’s my number” . To me, they created the term reggae with their late 60’s song – “Do the Reggay” .

Skatalites – For Death in paradise fans, the opening song is “You’re Wondering Now” – big ska song from the Skatalites – great beat and horns. Early influence for Bob M.

Harry Belafonte – “Jump in the Line” – Somebody help me…..!

Dave and Ansel Collins -: Double Barrel” – I am the Magnificent…..

Last for the moment – anything Justin Hinds – I’ll pick “Let’s Rock”

Thanks
J&B

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 04/10/2024 09:30 AM.