|
|
|
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,068
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 256
Joined: January 2004
|
|
|
10 members (Rumlover, Todd_Melinda_K, IWIWSE, tradewinds, NumberCruncher, dcareri, Sunnysideup, 3 invisible),
1,547
guests, and
65
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11 |
I am going to be the contrarian in the group. Off course how you go to windward in a cruising cat varies quite a bit with both wind and sea state. In the normal trade winds around 15 knots I will bring the jib car all the way back and sheet the jib in hard. The same for the main as we will be seeing close to 20 knots apparent. I want flat sails at 20 knots. I also fall off best upwind angle a few degrees and go for extra speed especially if the sea state is a bit rough. In lighter winds I will go for a bit more draft in the sails. The SFD has constantly shifting winds so I switch the autopilot to wind vane and let it handle the course once I get tired of steering. 45 degrees apparent is about the practical max on most condo cats. The Voyage 440 could get to 38 but had half the interior space of a modern 45. It sure sailed well however. We once knocked off 750 nautical miles in 3 days on an ocean transit.
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
|
|