In September there was enough day trip traffic from the USVI to make White Bay busy-ish. Pizza night at Leverick and White Bay were the only places in the BVI with a heart beat. The USVI were quite busy in contrast. January this year in the BVI was busier than 2013.

Sure, things were quieter on White Bay in the 90s and 00s, before KC wrote a map for a generation to visit via day trip, charter and micro cruise ship. We haven't had the equivalent of the shocks of those eras to drive folks away: Hugo, first Gulf War, Marilyn, 9/11, second Gulf War, 2008 financial shock. I remember coming into Charlotte Amalie on a Navy ship winter 1990 and wondering why the roofs were all blue? FEMA tarps. Marilyn was worse. My brother and his buddies left broke after Marilyn; some of them had no electric for 2+ years after Hugo and had given up.

Today we have low interest loans paying for those enormous catamarans, high disposable income driving the demand, and low oil prices keeping the air fares low. I'm not taking that for granted and we're spending every minute we can in the islands. Along with everyone else.

We're down in ten days. With the spring regatta and Easter week I'm tempted to skip the BVI and the hassle. I'm a St. John boy and love the National Park beaches and bays. But, my lady loves White Bay. See you on White Bay.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada