Corgimenow, as far as VZM in BVI I've read all sorts of experiences with it. Some say you'll pay roaming at 1.99/min and others have said if the hit a St. Thomas tower it was free. There may be some truth in both because it looks like Verizon sold to Claro which is Ameriaca Movil at least in Puerto Rico. I don't think VZN actually exists on PR or ST any more but it looks like they did provide for VZN and legacy Claro CDMA customers with agreements with companies like Open Mobile where they have access without charge (see wikipedia article on Claro especially at the bottom "Relationship With Verizon Wireless". This is about PR but I bet it applies to ST Thomas too. Anyway, you won't get any VZN coverage beyond the western end of the BVI I don't believe.

Gulfsurfer, you are out of luck with T-Mobile in the BVI unless they have roaming and you want to use it. If those wifi devices are unlocked you can put a Digicel/Lime sim in them and use them thay way. I believe both are using 850/1900 Mhz for their frequencies on what they call 4G, it's not LTE speeds, it's 3G/HSPA which many carriers are calling 4G now but you should be able to stream music and use voip with it.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!