I'll have some pictures at some point. Some more thoughts for lurkers/first timers ........

It was unusually windy for this time of year. The NWS out of SJ PR along with Weather Underground, repealtdly called the winds out of the east at 15. OTOH, wind guru and WeatherCaribe had the winds on several days to 25, sustained 18-20. It frequently went slightly north of east creating some pretty good wave action anywhere outside of Drake and then even inside.

Fun ride, under Russel's watchful eye, from Anegada to Scrub. Under full sail and a quartering wind, we hit 9 kts several times and sustained 8.2 in front of an 18-22kt breeze. Got a good lesson in sailing a reach well. Russell is an avid racer. His uncle, John Bertrand, skippered Austrailia to the first non-US victory in the America's cup. He's got the genes.

It's a hard point of sail to do right. I always thought it was easy until Russel showed me how it's done. Anticipate the boats movement at the bow, stand behind the helm steer away from whichever leg has more pressure. There's a rhythm and if you hit it and hold it, the boat will pick up a couple tenths and then sustain it. If you're doing S turns all the time, a frequent occurance if your helming incorrectly on a broad reach, you're not doing it right. Fun.

First time on a boat with an electric halyard winch in the cockpit. Taught right out of Hodges how to use it safely. Not only does it make it easy to raise the main but, if your roller furling line is long enough, you can bring it forward through the aft turning block to the electric and furl the jib with it. Another way to sail efficiently.

Last edited by jbuch02; 08/02/2015 09:05 AM.