Yolo ...... good start with your post above.

You might find some takers here but be patient. This sort of thing takes a long time to work itself out. Bridgett's comments are spot on.

I hired a "crew" (a 2nd set of hands because in our group of 4 only two had sailing experience and one not much at all) for my recent charter in July. Signed him on 9 months before the charter and after I booked the boat (a mono). I posted in this forum to find one. I had 9 responses from around the world, narrowed it to 3, got references from all of them, narrowed it to two, spoke on the phone with both of them and with their references and ended up hiring one ...... Russell Bertrand who is a Licensed Captain, runs his own charter boat (letsgosailingbvi.com) and turned out to be terrific. He had never hired himself out as "crew" or, if I've got this right, to sail on another boat, captain or crew although he has but a couple of race teams together using Sunsail boats for various races in these parts.

I'm an avid sailor, small to big boats but I learned more about running a charter boat in the BVI from him than I learned in 50+ years of sailing. He WAS the Captian. I'm a good skipper but being a good Captain is an entirely different job. Thanks again Russell.

Do your homework, it will pay off. One thought, you might try booking your boat and then shopping for "crew." That's what I did; it got a little scary but it worked out perfectly in the end.