sail2wind said:
StormJib said:
The real answer here is to follow the USVI lead and dramatically limit even eliminate anchoring. There are multiple BVI research studies going back to 1994 and before of the damage done by anchors and chains. The most compelling is the evidence that in the areas where people anchor the coral coverage is half that of the areas where there is little or no anchoring. In just the last few decades coral coverage in the areas frequented by anchoring have fallen from over 30 percent to 17 percent or less. The first step in the healing process would fix the issue above. In any area where you can see moorings. Anchoring must be prohibited. We hear and see so many BVI job creation projects. The installation, care, and enforcement of moorings should be project one. I would go so far as to include moorings in the cruising permit. There could be "Rangers" inspecting moorings and cruising permits in place of what we experience today.

What about sand bottoms where there is no coral?

It would be hard (and not necessarily a good idea) to eliminate it, since there are plenty of places to anchor safely & efficiently.
But with no one to monitor or administrate a program like this, there's no way to enforce any of it, whether it's a good idea or not. Clearly the rules that are already in place aren't being enforced.

I get upset when I see snorkelers stand up on rocks or coral, I'd be apoplectic if I saw this. But it's true that briefings need to be much clearer, as in, "DO NOT ANCHOR IN CORAL. DO NOT TOUCH CORAL. DO NOT PEE OR EMPTY YOUR HOLDING TANKS NEAR CORAL." We've only been visiting the BVI for 8 years & I've seen the coral deteriorate badly in many places. The Caves at Norman Island are practically devoid of any living coral now, it's heart wrenching.

If I can't be a good example, I'll just have to be a horrible warning. [Linked Image]