GeorgeC1 said:
Keep in mind charter boats are taxed now.
The boat owner pays a yearly tax to charter.
Boat import tax
There is a cruising tax.
Any replacement parts are taxed.
Fishing tax
New boat fishing tax
National Park tax
Charter guests pay a 20 to 40 dollar exit tax

The BVI can add additional taxes if they choose. Charter companies, boat owners, and charter customers can choose to pay them or take their business elsewhere. I suspect the BVI is underestimating the effects of Cuba opening up. I think when Cuba is fully up and running it's going to have a big impact on the BVI. Everyone I know with a charter boat is looking at moving it to Cuba. It's going to be a great place that's very easy to get to and from. I am already hearing about plans for fast ferries from South Florida. Airfares should be only slightly more then flying to Miami from anywhere in the country. If the Cuban government places it's cards right they will be the place to go.
G

I don't check TTOL often but I have to respond to this one.

The BVI has long underestimated the effects of LOTS of things. Including water for the people, affordable food and affordable electricity in relation to the pay scale, efficient ferry service for tourist and locals alike, welcoming, efficient services from entry to having a meal, clean air for the people of West End instead of an incinerator billowing toxins, sewer issues, roads, traffic and parking problems, not enough police to police the place, certain crowded beaches that still run land based guests away, projects that run by $30 million over budget, constant new taxes and fees on tourist... on and on and on. Tourist have been exiting the BVI for years yet, they stand up and say the ECONOMY IS ROBUST.... ROBUST my [censored]!
George and stormjib are exactly right, unfortunately.