CaptainJay said:

You have invested thousands of dollars in your vacation. The time to travel here and get to the boat. Investing a few hours at the dock getting to know your home for the next week to ten days can be invaluable to the quality of your trip. Know where the equipment is and have at least a fundamental knowledge of how that equipment works or if it works. Most of the issues in this thread while typical by themselves on a five year old charter boat could likely have been handled by the companies staff prior to departure if the time where allowed to do that.

Yes in a perfect world you would show up to a Bristol boat everything working perfect and sail on in perfect harmony. A lot of us in the industry try to to preform to that level but even the good companies have a bad charter from time to time.

As a company we (CYOA) have always believed in a thorough briefing and check out sail with each client tailored to the boat that the client is on. Knowing how to clear a sea water strainer or change an impeller are fairly important skills for every charter guest. No we don't expect the guests to be full blown marine technicians and all of the companies have systems set up to handle chase calls when necessary but sometimes a little self help goes a long way.

Captain Jay - one of the many things that impresses me about CYOA is the spare parts inventory and tool kit that you put on each boat. The spares include a customized set of fuel filters, raw water impeller kits, and belts for EACH engine and generator onboard, plus sufficient tools for the charterer to perform these replacements if capable. Also included is a dinghy outboard repair kit with sparkplugs, starter cord, and spare propeller!

I did 20+ charters with Sunsail, TMM, ProValor, and Conch and never saw anything comparable. I wasted effectively 2 days on a TMM charter getting a broken alternator belt replaced 3 different times because the first two replacements they brought were not properly sized and quickly self-destructed.